Why Is My Kitten Less Affectionate Now?

mmin

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So i just got a scottish fold kitten for about 1.5 weeks now. He is 11 weeks and 3 days old now. The first day i got him, he was scared for about 3 hours before jumping onto my lap and sleeping on my legs. The first night, i awoke to find him right beside me in bed and following then, he's been following me around. Subsequently though, i feel that throughout the week, he's becoming less affectionate as compared to that first day/ night. he doesn't sleep with me anymore, preferring to sleep on the table (but he has tried grooming me about twice and occassionally once in awhile, would come to sleep on me for a few minutes before strutting off) He still does follow me about mostly, but not as much as the first day. He still gets on the table to sleep beside me while i'm using the laptop/ eating etc. Also, today, he has been having some rather(?) bad eye discharge and he's not even doing that, choosing to hide under the bed to get some sleep. (he almost never sleeps under the bed)

I have two questions!
1. Is there a reason he's less affectionate as time goes by? Shouldn't he be more as he gets more comfortable? Why is this so :( Could today simply be because of his irritable eye?

2. He allows me to pet him whenever, but doesn't allow much carrying or holding. How do i get him to be more tolerant/ allow me to hold him?

I'm a first time cat owner so would appreciate any advice!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Congrats on the new kitten!

Has he been to the vet since you adopted him? That is always a good idea with any new cat. But especially, for him, since he has the eye discharge. He possibly has a kitty cold and could need eye drops to clear it up.

That could be causing him to be a bit more distant. Or it could be that he's getting more comfortable in his new home.

TCS has some articles for new cat "parents" that you may find helpful. Here are the links:

First-time Cat Owner's Guide
9 Tips That Will Help Your Kitten Adapt To A New Apartment
Kitten Proofing Your Home: 13 Practical Tips

elliesvictim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cats can be standoffish if unwell. If there's stuff oozing out of his eyes id say a vet visit is in order.
My cat was feral and hated being picked up. Over time that softened. Try to learn when your cat wants to be put down. My cat wriggles and i put her down. This amongst other communications took time. Be patient, good luck

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
His eye may very well be painful enough so he doesn’t feel like doing anything other than hiding. Untreated eye infections or injuries can lead to blindness. Please get him to the vet as soon as possible.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mmin

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i actually just brought him to the vet a couple days ago, and the vet said everything was clear and he was healthy. when i brought up his eye discharge (he already had it then, but it seemed to have worsened) the vet said that his eye itself is not red, and that it would probably cleared up by itself, but i've noticed that he is seemingly having more eye discharge. in addition, i've noticed him having some flea dirt in his fur while brushing him and i'm a little worried. could he have fleas? :( but i got him from a reputable breeder and i assumed she would have gave him flea treatment before he came. also, the vet checked that day and said she didn't see anything. should i bring him tomorrow to another vet to check out? he also seems more lethargic today than usual.

... probably shouldn't be in the behaviour section anymore since now i'm more worried about his health :c

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
She could also have an upper respiratory infection which can cause eye discharge. I would call your vet and get his or her opinion if the kitten needs to be seen again.

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Get a flea comb and comb your kitten. Particularly the more protected places. On his chest where his front legs connect. Then his lower abdomen. If you find any fleas, it's time for a topical flea treatment. Plus a check for tape worms.

Good luck with your kitten! I suspect he'll be more affectionate when he's feeling better. Have you tried feeding him treats to lure him to your lap? What about playing with him with interactive toys? Feathers on a wand are appreciated by most cats.

Last edited:

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Two thing you can do for congestion today:
1. Get some plain eye drops. Check the ingredients and make sure saline is the only ingredient. Put some in his eyes a few times a day it will thin the mucus.
2. Have play session in the closed bathroom with the hot shower going. The stream will also thin the mucus.

A cats appetite is affected by their sense of smell so do the above before a meal.

Check him for dehydration. Pinch up the skin at the scruff and release. Watch to see if it bounces back into place or stays sticking up long. Bouncing back is what you want.

If he is sleeping in a tight ball he may be cold and need a light blanket on him. He's used to sleeping with his siblings and may not be old enough to figure out how to seek out warmth.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
With the eye discharge, possible flea dirt, and lethargy, I think you should contact your vet again for advice. And if you don't feel comfortable with that vet, get a second opinion somewhere else. It's always best to err on the side of caution with our kitties, especially when they're still kittens. And when you feel something isn't right.