Why is my cat so stinky?

GabreilleM

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a three year old female named Nala and recently I've noticed she has a very odd smell clinging to her especially on her back end. I wouldn't be concerned but she honestly smells like a Porta potty... There's nothing else odd about her and nothing else has changed. Some quick info: she is 3, she grooms regularly but not excessively, she is spayed, there's nothing odd in Appearance on her back side, her temperament hasn't changed at all and she doesn't appear to be uncomfortable in any way. Is this something that is just normal for some cats or should I be concerned? She has an appointment at the end of the month for her annual vaccines but I just want to make sure its not something I should be taking her in sooner for.
IMG-20210917-WA0021.jpg
IMG-20210917-WA0021.jpg 20210920_151324.jpg

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The anal glands may need to be expressed. The vet can do this at the upcoming appointment.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
recently I've noticed she has a very odd smell clinging to her especially on her back end. I wouldn't be concerned but she honestly smells like a Porta potty...
Looks like or rather smell like her anal glands. Cats have anal glands and are secreted while they poop. They also will express their anal glands to mark territory or if they are frightened by something.

And sometimes they get impacted anal glands, you see them scooting on carpets or floor to get rid of the itch that's bothering them. Just observe if the smell still lingers and also check if anything has spooked her or she sense sone other cats scent around the house that is brought in by hoomans.

If its very bad and she is scooting, make an appointment with her vet so that she can have her anal glands expressed by the vet. You can also try doing it yourself which is not very easy if you have not done it before as you have to be gentle and find the right spot.

The anal gland is located around 4 & 8 o'clock of the anus. Usually you will be able to see some dark markings on it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GabreilleM

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The anal glands may need to be expressed. The vet can do this at the upcoming appointment.
That's what I was starting to think as well! I was hesitant to pin point it to that because I've read that the leakage that comes with the problem usually has color and i haven't noticed any colored fluid but hopefully we can get her sorted out at her visit.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Anal glands don't always leak goo. One of my cats needs his glands expressed occasionally when they start to smell. I do it myself at home. It's not hard to do but my cat holds more or less still. Most other cats don't like being messed around back there.

GabreilleM

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Looks like or rather smell like her anal glands. Cats have anal glands and are secreted while they poop. They also will express their anal glands to mark territory or if they are frightened by something.

And sometimes they get impacted anal glands, you see them scooting on carpets or floor to get rid of the itch that's bothering them. Just observe if the smell still lingers and also check if anything has spooked her or she sense sone other cats scent around the house that is brought in by hoomans.

If its very bad and she is scooting, make an appointment with her vet so that she can have her anal glands expressed by the vet. You can also try doing it yourself which is not very easy if you have not done it before as you have to be gentle and find the right spot.

The anal gland is located around 4 & 8 o'clock of the anus. Usually you will be able to see some dark markings on it.
Wow! That's super informative, thank you! She does frighten pretty easy when her siblings want to play so maybe that could be it! Luckily there's no scooting or any signs of itchiness or irritation from her behavior so I'll try to see if there's anything visible I might have missed and bring it up with her vet at the next appointment.

GabreilleM

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Anal glands don't always leak goo. One of my cats needs his glands expressed occasionally when they start to smell. I do it myself at home. It's not hard to do but my cat holds more or less still. Most other cats don't like being messed around back there.
I'll definitely see if my vet would be comfortable with me learning the technique at home! She's very skittish by nature so I doubt she'll be very pleased but a mama must do what a mama must do.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Wow! That's super informative, thank you! She does frighten pretty easy when her siblings want to play so maybe that could be it! Luckily there's no scooting or any signs of itchiness or irritation from her behavior so I'll try to see if there's anything visible I might have missed and bring it up with her vet at the next appointment.
B23897A4-51D3-4BD3-9BCF-7803C930DEA6$L0$001~photo.GIF

Yes, just keep an observation on her. Hopefully nothing's too serious. You can take a lightly warm damp disposable towel and gently dab her anus to wipe away the smell for the time being.

GabreilleM

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
View attachment 398353
Yes, just keep an observation on her. Hopefully nothing's too serious. You can take a lightly warm damp disposable towel and gently dab her anus to wipe away the smell for the time being.
Thank you very much I'll have to try that!