Why Is My Cat So Skittish?

TrippyKitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My boyfriends cat just moved in with us, she’s a very friendly and playful kitty. However, she is super skittish. I figured she would be nervous changing homes, but she’s always been like that. She jumps at almost everything. Earlier today, she destroyed our blinds because she kept jumping frantically up and down the window sill to the floor, reaching the tops of the blinds and just went crazy. It was honestly worrying to watch, I was wondering if anyone else has a skittish cat and what I could do to help her out?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Destroying the blinds or curtains is usually playing unfortunately. Not to say it couldn't have been fear in your case.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My soul-kitty was always skittish. She was born at a relative's house so we knew her entire history. She was just that way.

What helped her the most was giving her safe options to go hide in. We never had a cat tree back then; but I did have a wire shelf I made a little hiding spot on for her. She could see out the window but wasn't visible to the rest of my bedroom. She also had a hiding spot under my desk. My bedroom was her "safe" room. We tried to respect her boundaries. She was ok with people as long as they weren't loud or overly animated/excited.