Why is my cat not giving birth?

samira

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I found this cat a few weeks ago, she looks to be 6-8 months old. When I found her, she was already pregnant (knew by her nipples) so I am not sure how long she is with her pregnancy.
Anyway, yesterday she started having bloody discharges, and according to the Internet she is supposed to give birth within 24 hours...but she didn't!!
It's been more than 24 hours already (about 28h) and she is still eating, sleeping and playing like normal. Aside than the excessive butt licking, she is normal. No mewing, no hard breathing, no fatigue and she doesn't even look at the comfy box I made for her kittens, she insists on sleeping on my bed, right under the AC.
I am worried for her, is she fine or should I take her to the vet? It's the weekend here and they don't open unless extreme emergency.
20230425_223137.jpg

This is her, always laying down this way.
(Yes her tail is broken and fell down, idk what caused it tho)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So I found this cat a few weeks ago, she looks to be 6-8 months old. When I found her, she was already pregnant (knew by her nipples) so I am not sure how long she is with her pregnancy.
Anyway, yesterday she started having bloody discharges, and according to the Internet she is supposed to give birth within 24 hours...but she didn't!!
It's been more than 24 hours already (about 28h) and she is still eating, sleeping and playing like normal. Aside than the excessive butt licking, she is normal. No mewing, no hard breathing, no fatigue and she doesn't even look at the comfy box I made for her kittens, she insists on sleeping on my bed, right under the AC.
I am worried for her, is she fine or should I take her to the vet? It's the weekend here and they don't open unless extreme emergency.
View attachment 449546
This is her, always laying down this way.
(Yes her tail is broken and fell down, idk what caused it tho)
This doesnt seem to be any emergency. As long she behaves more or less normal, no visible distress....

Yes, the bloody discharges hints its nearing, but its no sure sign its immediate...

Has she dropped? ie suddenly seems less pregnant?

Anyway, its the usual waiting game.... Give her calcium rich food, nourishing food, prepare as well as you can - and wait calmly...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

samira

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This doesnt seem to be any emergency. As long she behaves more or less normal, no visible distress....

Yes, the bloody discharges hints its nearing, but its no sure sign its immediate...

Has she dropped? ie suddenly seems less pregnant?

Anyway, its the usual waiting game.... Give her calcium rich food, nourishing food, prepare as well as you can - and wait calmly...

Yes her belly fell down and she is lactating. How long should I wait before I start worrying? Now it's been about 38 hours since the first bloody discharges

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes her belly fell down and she is lactating. How long should I wait before I start worrying? Now it's been about 38 hours since the first bloody discharges
OK, so its near now...

Its difficult to give time tables... The advice is; as long she herself seems good and OK, its to observe, but wait and see. Prepare for emergencies, but hope for the best.¨
Try to yourself be calm, as she takes impressions from you... If she thinks she is in danger, she may even postpone the delivery some...

Cats manage a little too long time better than humans... While a cesarean, or forcing delivery too early, is dangerous for the kittens...
Kittens manage badly to be premature, unlike humans...

The waiting game is NOT fun...

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How much bloody discharge is there? Is it red or pinkish?

samira

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How much bloody discharge is there? Is it red or pinkish?
It's a little darker red, sometimes it's there, other times it's not. But she licks most of the discharges so I can't really judge the amount

samira

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update :
She gave birth but the kitten was pink, like it didn't have skin. I think it's dead. I left her in the room to give birth so she doesn't get disturbed. I only saw one kitten, I don't know if the rest will be the same 😢💔

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Update :
She gave birth but the kitten was pink, like it didn't have skin. I think it's dead. I left her in the room to give birth so she doesn't get disturbed. I only saw one kitten, I don't know if the rest will be the same 😢💔
Its too late now, but sometimes its possible to revive such a seemingly stillborn. You warm it up, and massage it a good while... No quarantees, but sometimes they wake up...
Pinkish, without fur, is almost surely much premature... With such, its very difficult even if they are alive... But if alive, they can sometimes be rescued, if the caretaker is vigorous enough... *almost surely I wrote... Once every year, one of oour forumites gets a spontane mutation, a naked cat... a natural sphynx so to speak... These are of course naked but fully viable.

OK, taking for face value; very premature, probably stillborn... The probability is high, there are others still inside, and with a little luck, they will be delivered healthy in their own due time...

So, continue to watch her alike a hawk, and hope for healthy kittens in a couple of days.

samira

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay, she is eating drinking and sleeping just fine, a little tired tho. Her bleeding also stopped. But i think she is breathing fast in her sleep...
Is this a miscarriage?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Okay, she is eating drinking and sleeping just fine, a little tired tho. Her bleeding also stopped. But i think she is breathing fast in her sleep...
Is this a miscarriage?
You could say so. Such very late miscarriages are often not viable... So it may be worth to try to save a premature, but if its hopeless, dont mourn too much... It was the fate; a goner.

Lets hope the others still inside are healthy and will be delivered in a few days in due time.

Im glad to hear she seems OK!

samira

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Another update:
She gave birth but all of them were stillborn, I couldn't save any of them. 💔

Also two days after giving birth her belly under her nipple, the one in the last row, seems to be swollen, when i trace the bulging it's like (V) letter.
Internet says its uterus infection but i am not sure

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I am so very sorry. RIP sweet kittens. :angel:

Please get your cat to a vet right away for medication. This is important. Please let us know what the vet says. She may need a spay surgery and antibiotics.

samira samira

samira

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I scheduled an appointment for tomorrow, its the nearest I could.
But I have no idea what her previous medical record is, whether she is vaccined or not. So spaying will have to wait 🥲

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Good you have an appointment for her tomorrow.

A cat does not need prior vaccinations to be spayed. If she has a uterine infection as you previously suggested, she may need her uterus removed. That would be a spay. She could then be vaccinated.

Let’s see what the vet says. Does your cat seem to be in pain or have fever in the meantime? Is she eating and drinking?
samira samira

samira

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I took her to the vet and he says it's only inflammation and gave her some injections and oral medicines. As for spaying we had the talk, she needs afew more visits before spaying.

I was told to observe her for a week, currently she is very well, energetic more than ever. Jumps and play alot. But for some reason, she seems tired of food...?

At first she ate just fine, then refused to eat dry food so I gave her wet food for two days she ate alot and didn't have a problem. Now she refuses to eat wet food and only wants treats....
Is this a problem or she is just being picky?
Other than that, she is pretty fine.