Why Is My Cat Hiding From Its "previous" Owner?

Claudia.P

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Me and my sister have had our cat for 7 years now. A couple of months ago, she moved out of the house with her boyfriend and whenever she comes visit, my cat hides at the sound of her entering the house, he won't come out and even if I take him out from where he is hiding he runs away from my sister, it upsets me ecause my sister's main reason to visit, is him, and she doesn't get to see him because he is hiding. He used to love my sister more than what he loved me before she moved out, so I found it odd. I left as an exchange student for 5 months when he was 4 years and he didn't hide from me once I came back(he certainly grew closer to my sister during that time since he liked me more before) At first I thought it might be the smell of her boyfriend that he didn't like, but he behaves completely normal with him and lets him pet him, seems like the problem is just with my sister and she's coming home for the holidays, I'd really like it if he didn't spend it hiding from her.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He may be mad at her, or she may smell different now. The difference is that you came home and stayed. Your sister now comes and goes.

Unfortunately, you can't control the cat's reaction to your sister, so you'll have to change your expectations for your cat.

Don't push things. If your sister will be staying in the home during the holidays, the cat will likely begin to warm up to her again on his own terms. :)

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Sonny hid from his former mommy for months after I adopted him. Sonny was a former foster kitty for one of our friends. Sonny was adopted out and returned to her. We adopted him shortly after he was returned. When my friend or her hubby came over Sonny would hide. They let him be. Eventually one time when we were out of town he came running up to his former mommy who is also my cat sitter and demanded pets. After that he comes and visits her whenever she is here. Just give the kitty time and hopefully he will surprise your sister. The only answer we came up with is that he had moved around a few times in a short period and he was afraid his former mommy was going to move him again. Once he realized he was not going anywhere else the hiding stopped.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Claudia.P

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah thank you everyone I think I'll cut him some slack and just let him be, since my sister will be taking him to her house for new year and keeping him a couple of weeks. Thanks for the advices ❤

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why is your cat being moved around?
That’s basically the opposite of letting him be

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I thought you said your sister was visiting you for the holidays? I'm confused!

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please let us know how that works out. Me, I'm a little pessimistic.

Claudia.P

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh my apologies if I worried you, yes my sister will be visiting from tomorrow up until christmas, but for new year everyone in my house will be leaving(travelling and so) so, no one will be able to look after my cat other than my sister :S she'll take him with her to her place, so I supposed they'll be able to spend more time together after he warmed up to her here. :S I'm getting a little worried, is it not ok? No one else can look after him on New Year

Claudia.P

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If anything then I'll just tell her to have her until I come back and then give him to me, that should be for 3 days :S

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It should be fine, but expect he may be frightened by the new surroundings at your sister's place. He may hide. It's a lot of change for him, which some cats do not readily take to.