Why Is My Cat Doing This?

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This is strange my cat keeps pawing at blinds cause she is hungry but lately she wants me to put food in my room. I show her the food in kitchen but she paws at my blinds so had to put her food bowl in my room and she eats it

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there any reason she would not feel safe in the kitchen? Can she see other pets outside, or hear loud noises? When you feed her in the kitchen is it next to the refrigerator, heater, water bowl or litterbox? Do you have another cat that eats there?

I don't know why she is doing this, but some cats get picky about where they feel safe eating. It could be something like that, you may have to play a little pet detective.

Our kitty Olive had her safe room in our basement. Whenever she grabs a good toy, or steals a chicken breast she brings it down there to eat in what I call her "killing zone". She doesn't eat the kibble in the kitchen where our other boys eat, so I think to her that is not a "safe place" to relax her guard and eat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She always ate in the kitchen I don't know if it's cause she is lonely cause I did had to put one cat to sleep. They were close. She never had trouble eating in the kitchen though nothing out of the ordinary

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
It's possible she is grieving her friend. I don't know much about how cats grieve, but maybe she is lonely like you said.

And I'm so sorry for you loss.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sorry for the loss of your cat. :alright: RIP sweet kitty. :angel:

Your current cat definitely could be mourning him. Here's a TCS article with more info: Do Cats Mourn?

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry your cat passed away.

Alternatively (though she is mourning him) it could be he was her security cat. Sometimes insecure/nervous cats get a calm confident cat buddy to take their cues from. If their buddy is calm, they are safe, so they can be calm (and eat in the scary kitchen.) This doesn't seem like a fight worth having. Buy a plastic cat place mat with a ridge and feed her in the room she feels safest in for now. *shrugs* Maybe after a couple of months slowly move her dinner zone to where you want it, but again some fights are not worth it.

I have a couple of these that are oval and one pink, one clear. The edge keeps accidents contained.