Why Does My Cat Purr And Rub Against Me When He Is Happy Then Suddenly Bite Me?

PixelCatKing

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He started doing this 1 year ago when he was finally used to our house... I feel like he thinks i'm playing with him because he is still purring and sort of rubbing on me at the same time but i'm not sure...

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It could just be a love bite. Is he acting aggressive or agitated when he does it? If your rubbing him you could be over stimulating him.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It could be a love bite, or it could be that he's overstimulated easily. My girl loves her cuddles, but if I'm too active with my petting, or not paying close enough attention, I get hit or (very gently) bitten. it's not that she doesn't love me, but that she needs me to back off and give her a little space. In her case, this means stopping hand contact altogether, or leaving my hand on her but totally still. Each cat is different (and some cats will gladly have pets all day without any issues - in my experience, it's often the more high-strung cats that get overstimulated). Watch your boy's tail closely when you're having snuggle time - a twitching tail means he needs a little space, and the harder and faster/wider that tail goes, the more urgent the need for a breather.
How To Deal With Cat "love Bites"?
Cat Aggression Toward People
How To Stop Playtime Aggression In Cats