Why does my cat projectile poop?

aria.zxz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat has projectile pooped (i prefer to call shart) a couple of times in the past few months. The first time she did it, I was hugging her while holding her and she just squirted some kind of poopy substance right out! Then today I was tapping her back leg to get her to move, since I was doing something and she was in the way, and she did it again. She’s a playful kitten so it’s possible she’s having diarrhea from eating random things she can find in the house like bugs or possible crumbs under the kitchen table, or maybe she’s stressed/anxious about something. I’m not exactly sure the cause or reason of why she does that but I’m hoping someone can help me find out why.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi and welcome to TCS! How old is this cat/kitten? Is she spayed?

It is hard to say why. The fact that it has only happened a couple of times in the past few months doesn't seem to warrant a high degree of concern. Especially if it was diarrhea both times, and you suspect that she ate something that she shouldn't have. It is possible, if the amount is very small, it could be secretions from her anal glands. The smell is generally much stronger than poop, but not always.

It would probably be a good idea to let the vet know, just so it is on her record and in case it continues to happen. The vet will let you know if they feel there is a reason to have her looked at now, or if they would want you to get a sample of it to bring to them the next time it happens.