Why do so many people hate cats? & Have misconceptions?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nebula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I have heard cat haters come up with excuse that cat's will not drag you out of a burning or save you from drowning like a dog will. Maybe if these people stop to think, then they will come to the mind blowing revelation that a cat doesn't have the strength to do that, or that it's just plain survival instinct......DUUUUHHHHH!!!!!!
Sometimes cats rescue people! :)

bengalcatman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Read the book Homer's Odyssey by Gwen Cooper; her tiny blind cat actually attackers and drives away an intruder. 

Our Bengal Makena wakes us if anything is amiss around the house, growls when strangers knock and will not hesitate to put himself between an attacking dog and my wife or I.
Just had to quote that; well stated!

Eric

fritzthecat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Part of the reason dogs were domesticated before cats has to do with our own evolution. Back when we were hunters and gatherers the domestication of dogs proved useful in helping to track down game, with the use of their excellent sense of smell. They operate under a social structure and as long as you establish yourself as Alpha, they know their place. Making them easy to train.

Once we became farmers we found ourselves with a new problem. The Vermin that would feed on our crops. Especially mice and rats. With a lot of food hanging around you could easily end up with a huge mouse plague. That was when we began to domesticate cats not his companions board as a form of pest control. We would just leave them in the barn. They required less maintenance than dogs and we're good at surviving on their own.

One of the earliest civilizations to invent farming were the Egyptians, perhaps that's why they worshiped them.

During the Middle Ages to animals from the east were inadvertently introduced to the west. The cats and the black rat. As history tells us the black rats were The original carriers of the black death or bubonic plague. Many superstitions Developed about cats partly because of the unfamiliarity of this new exotic species. They were blamed for the plague and were burned at the stake along with their owners. They were believed to be used in witchcraft. Unsurprisingly the areas with les cats had more serious outbreaks of the plague with the absence of cats to control the rat population.

One superstition that developed was that cats would kill babies by sucking their breath away, or training them of their life force. This old Wise tale developed into The urban legend, that you might've heard about cats smothering babies when they smell milk on the babies breath. Surprisingly so many people believe this today despite the fact that it has never been proven.

garfield8

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
PEOPLE... this is like saying 

"i like red."

"i like blue."

"hey, red is better!"

"no, blue is better!"

this is like that. cats and dogs, and which is better or worse. they are both beautiful, amazing pets/animals and are great companions. 

cheshirepuss577

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well first of all, some people have allergies to cats, second of all some people are dog people, third of all some people might have been injured by a cat in the past...and some people are just too darn uptight for a cat.

Last edited by a moderator:

smile123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I guess some people have never met a cat, or they saw one during its crazy/angry mood.

jennabengal

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I hated cats with a passion, until l got my Bengal. Still not crazy about otter cats, l just don't like the look of a dsh and l was severely attacked by cats twice, henceforth l didn't trust them.
I absolutely love my Bengal "Julie" and l wouldn't trade her for anything
l still prefer dogs

jennabengal

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My Bengal doesn't growl, and she's afraid of my minature shnauzer. She's very respectful towards my dog and ferret. They all snuggle together. It's so cute.:rbheart:

billybob

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Most people who don't like a certain kind of animal have never been exposed to that type of animal.
My brother-in-law "hated" cats.... He had never owned one. When his wife passed and he came to live with us he had to share a house with a cat.
When my husband returned to on the road work we knew stumper cat did not like the rv so she stayed home with my Brother-in-law, and we took Billy Bob with us. In the 2 months prior to our leaving for road work stumper won him over and now sleeps at the foot of his bed and follows him around like a dog. They are buddies. Never say never.

bengalcatman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Most people who don't like a certain kind of animal have never been exposed to that type of animal.
My brother-in-law "hated" cats.... ........
Reminds me of a story. I used to have work done on my car at a place that specialized in exotic cars. Once I stopped in to pay a bill and I had the cat in the car because I was coming back from the vet's office. Ray, the owner of the place laughed "so you are are a cat lover huh? Didn't anybody explain to you that cats are a girls pet?" Ray was a big tough guy, played football in college. Ray was a hunter and an amateur boxer. Of course he had a business that specialized in high end fast cars.. Ray said "I can't stand cats, but to each his own I suppose." I laughed at his ribbing and forgot about it. Until a few weeks later when I stopped in early in the morning to see how the work was coming on a rare car he was rebuilding. Ray was at his desk drinking coffee, and there was an orange and white cat sitting on his desk. First thing I said was "Didn't anybody explain to you that cats are a girls pet?" Ray turned red and carefully explained how the cat "just comes in when I open the door in the morning. He is not a pet. He just hangs around." A month later I had stopped in again. It was fall and the weather was getting colder. I noticed a cat bed and a little food dish in Ray's office. "Ray, usually when you have a cute bed and a dish put out...its for a pet. Not just some cat that stops by." Ray still insisted that the cat was not his pet "Its cold out and he wanted to stay in. I am just trying to do the right thing. I don't like cats."

A few more months passed and I stopped by. Ray was working on a car and the cat was sitting on the fender watching. Ray did not see me and he spoke to the cat, "move Rodger, you are in my way again" I could not resist "Rodger? Did you just call him Rodger?" Ray did not laugh "I really got to liking having him around, he keeps me company all day. I get a kick out of watching him too, he loves to chase paper balls and stuff around the shop." I noticed that Rodger looked a good deal fatter than the first time I saw him and that there was a small red stuffed mouse under a Porsche. I smiled to myself thinking about Ray, 275 pounds of solid muscle-football player-boxer-hunter-tough guy-cat hater standing in the cat toy aisle and picking out that red mouse for Rodger....

Never say never.
Especially when there is a cat involved :lol3:

Last edited:

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ya gotta hate something.  (I hate mosquito's).