Why do people do this

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Today I am pretty good but a bit sleepy I only sleept a couple of hours after work I am watching the Pit Boss now and it has made me angry. this guy is an ex con and he has turned his life around and now rescues pit bulls and he has been called in to rescue a dog who was in fights and he was checking out a dog fighting ring and the pieces of work went after him and his team but that is beside the point you could actually hear the dogs on there whining from the fight that he was spying on. And I watch some other rescue shows and its always the same person some idiot getting their jollies by mistreating an animal but dog fighting to me is he worst. and alot of dogs besides pits are the victims as well as cats because people get them out of the freecycles or steal them and use them to make the dogs mean and as bait for the fighting dogs. What would make you want to watch two animals kill each other or tape one dogs mouth shut and let another one attack it. I just don't understand it and I never will.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They don't see them as animals, they see them as things that make money. Thousands of dollars can be tied up in a single fight and if the dog wins enough fights their puppies can sell for a lot of money (1-2k far more than a pit pup is worth)
These individuals are usually dealers, smugglers, and addicted to various drugs themselves - which pushes them to get more money for their habits.

Unfortunately my parents associated with people that did that and fought chickens.
I never understood how they could have "fighting stock" and pets, too. But they did have two cats that they took very good care of and a few dogs and chickens that were pampered pets.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some people are just sickening and dont see dogs as pets or animals, just as dollar bills in their hand.

Here, one of the largest breeders of fighting dogs, David Tant, was released on parole. The big animal society had petitions about keeping him in jail. He DID serve more time than most people that I've seen in the news related to dog fighting, but it's still horrible that its such a lightly taken crime.

The guys at work like Vick because he's a NFL player, and said "people make mistakes"
Yes, it's true, they do. But fighting dogs continuously is not really a "mistake". You consciously know what you're doing and that it is wrong. I was really shocked to hear the one guy say it, because his gorgeous Pit, Diamond, was the love of his life before his daughter was born.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It makes me so angry to see any animal mistreated but the thing is these dogs get blamed for their mistreatment like they are to blame and when in a good, loving home they are wonderful dogs. They get blamed for alot of dog bites and attacks too when people say its a pit and its not its a mutt and it happened to look close so it was labeled as one I was watching the news one night about a little boy who was attacked by a dog, they blame the dog owner but the dog was chained in his own yard and the boy was 4 and was outside alone and had snuck into the yard, but anyway they called the dog a pitbull they being the news and when I saw the dog on th news it looked like a husky mix and it was obvious it wasn't one. And these bad labels all start because some idiot wants to make money by fighting a dog and look tough by having a big mean looking dog rather than showing what loving loyal dogs they truly are. Okay now I will step down from my soap box.

laceface

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It is horrible that people do things like that to dogs, utterly disgusting.

I can't stand pit boss though. That man dives me insane. He doesn't treat his employees well at all, and his animals are ill mannered. I honestly think he needs to help the breed in a different manner than what he is currently doing.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tavia'smom

They get blamed for alot of dog bites and attacks too when people say its a pit and its not its a mutt and it happened to look close so it was labeled as one
Pits are the all American dog. Look back at ads from 60-100 years ago. Because of their popularity as a family dog for so long they're a very common breed in the US, whenever that happens that common breed ends up mixed with everything in your mixed breeds. This also happens with german shepherds, rottweilers, and labs. You'll find that a lot of dogs that do end up running loose are some mix of this, so it's no surprise if someone gets bit by a dog with that in its history. It can't really be helped.

But short of DNA testing a mix breed, you honestly can't tell exactly what breeds it came from and it's just people making wild guesses, Pit makes for a better headline than a dog breed no one has ever heard of or "mix breed".

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laceface

It is horrible that people do things like that to dogs, utterly disgusting.

I can't stand pit boss though. That man dives me insane. He doesn't treat his employees well at all, and his animals are ill mannered. I honestly think he needs to help the breed in a different manner than what he is currently doing.
I watch many shows on AP but I don't like Pit Boss either.

snickerdoodle

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
All I can say is I'm glad I don't have cable and don't watch these shows. Years ago I watched the SPCA rescue show and they rescued a poor dog that had been left on the roof of a tall building in 120 degree weather and he was in so much agony. I said right then I can't stand to watch stuff like that anymore. I'm thankful here in NC we finally passed Suzie's Law which makes animal cruelty a felony, I believe. Just so horrible. I had a friend who wanted to be a vet, and she is currently fostering a dog and has a very young son. The dog jumped up to put his paws on another friend's belly to say hello, and the woman smacked the dog on the head and yelled at him and said NO!
My friend who was jumped on told her off right quick and said, "Don't you EVER dare hit that dog again! You never hit a dog!" I told my friend maybe she needs to have that dog taken back to wherever she got it from, or put into another foster home. Some people take the responsibility of pets too light and others just don't give a whip about them. Makes me so sad.

lisar

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Some dogs can be easily trained to fight because of thier personalities. Still that does not make it right.

I find the best way to discipline my puppy is actually to pointedly ignore her.