Why Do I Keep Doing This

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hubby and I drove over to the next town today. I went in Petsmart again to visit the cats. There were only two today. Both were adult cats. One never woke up. The other one, Whiskers, was a beautiful brownish tabby with the greenest eyes I ever saw. She laid on her blanket and eyed me while I made a dunce of myself talking and cooing to her. I walked away and then came back. I stood there and suddenly her motor came on. I never heard a cat purr that loud in all my years. Then she stood up and meandered over to the front of the cage, still purring. The stood on her rear legs, put both front paws out and landed them on my chest. She looked me in the eyes and purred all the louder. I loved on her some and walked away. When I peeped back at her, she was the most dejected looking cat. I walked back to the cage and got the motor treatment again. My heart broke for her. It is getting harder and harder for me to visit cats and walk away. I need to stop as I really don't want another cat. My husband sits in the car because he said he can't resist them.

bellaandme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh you poor thing, I know exactly what you're talking about. Why do we torture ourselves? They really tug at my heart--AND don't let me find one that looks like one of my RB kitties!! I don't really want to see any kitties right. It's just too soon.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Petsmart is hard and animal control breaks my heart. When someone reaches his or her paw out to me, or looks at me with pleading eyes, or is basically just in a cage, I want to take them home. I have no willpower when it comes to cats. I'm not even a "dog" person, but I want to rescue them, too.

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have a pet supplies store here that adopts out cats and I can't walk in there without wanting to bring one of those babies home.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeeaahhhh....... I knoooowwwww...... Not being able to resist is how I ended up with SEVEN. Also - they all would have been destroyed. Couldn't let that happen. Even now if I think about what MIGHT have happened..........................

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Addie Bee, that's what I think about when I hold Pria, as she would have been PTS by end of day had we not taken her and the 5 boys with her when we did.

See, I have this problem when I go to the shelter to pick up fosters. It is SO hard to decide who to foster, because I wish that I COULD take them all! Usually I let the employees tell me who needs me the most and go from there, because it's a decision that kills me to make.

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
I feel for you. I'm the exact same way although the mood I'm in lately, I probably would have walked out with the kitty. We've actually gotten 2 steps into Petsmart when we realize there's an adoption even on. DH usually apologizes but has to go wait in the car while I pick stuff up. He can't look at them without it breaking his heart.

cmedeiros17

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Awwwwww....it is SOOO hard to walk away. I generally avoid the cat section when I go to Petsmart. Its hard
And depressing. And yes you want to take them all home!

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bellaandme

Oh you poor thing, I know exactly what you're talking about. Why do we torture ourselves? They really tug at my heart--AND don't let me find one that looks like one of my RB kitties!! I don't really want to see any kitties right. It's just too soon.
I said the same thing but I adopted Autumn two weeks after Misty crossed the Bridge. I was just way too lonely but Misty is in my heart and always will be, no kitty can ever take her place.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Definitely hard to walk away! Luckily I checked out the kitties from time to time (every time hubby and I go together we say hi to the kitties) ... we ended up adopting Hoshi from them as a new brother for Nero in '09. He really caught hubby's attention one day when we were looking, and soon after we decided to get a 2nd kitty.

I always take pics of the kittens and send them to him, and he tells me I better leave the store without anything furry