Why Did Sandy Die?

SandyDusty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I got Sandy and Dusty from a friend's litter when they were 7 weeks old. We were there the day they were born and picked them. They would have been 13 years old in July. They were extremely different - Sandy was outgoing, a tabby/siamese mix and Dusty is a quiet Maine Coon type (2 brothers). Sandy has always been very healthy - catching live animals and bringing them in, etc. Last Friday night he was as active as usual, had treats before bed like normal. He didn't come for morning treats but he sometimes does that. Saturday afternoon I spotted him sleeping in the living room floor where he usually does and went to pet him. He was cold and stiff. I can't believe he's dead! Any ideas about why a seemingly healthy cat would just die? I am heartbroken. He was everything to me. Dusty has cried a little and wandered around his grave but he's doing ok. My daughter and I are devastated at the loss and the not knowing why. Thank you for any advice or opinions.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He may have had a heart attack. Even with humans, it happens and there never is an answer as to "why". Poor Dusty needs your love and comfort now - did he get a chance to sniff his brother's mortal remains? It seems to help. If not, you can show Dusty something that smells of Sandy then tell Dusty that his brother is gone and then let Dusty see you and your kids, if they can handle it, wailing and grieving - cats do understand and I have found that kids like to help in the mourning process. There is a saying of which part of it says " a sadness shared is a sadness halved". Condolences to all of you - may you find comfort in knowing that Sandy didnt suffer through a lingering illness and that he crossed over the Bridge having been blessed with a loving family who gave him the joys of a good home, of playing and entertaining his family.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I, too, think it was something to do with the heart if it was that sudden. The fact that he appeared to be sleeping points to a very sudden occurrence, for that I am thankful.
I pray you don't dwell on the why's, try to concentrate on the almost 13 years that Sandy shared your life, and what he brought into it. None of us are guaranteed a tomorrow, that is why we must appreciate and truly live for today, and share that time with those we love. The end of life is a natural occurrence, every living thing will have it happen. That Sandy died at home, surrounded by those he loved and who loved him is a blessing, I wish it for everyone. The bond you formed with that sweet boy will always be with you, use it and your precious memories to comfort yourself. Surround yourself with those who loved him, and love you, it helps to grieve with those who understand. Hold on to each other, time will soften the sharp edges of grief. You will never forget what that little one brought into your life, he was in your life for a reason, and now will dwell in loving hearts.
I know what an emptiness this brings to a home. I will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers, take care........RIP beautiful Sandy, you brought joy and love to the ones who love you so very much. Know you will never be forgotten, and will live on in the precious memories of those who miss you so dearly. Sleep tight, little Prince!

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes these things just happen for reasons that we will never know, but like Di and Bob said be thankful it was peaceful. So sorry for your loss.

God Bless......:alright:

amysuen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh no! I am so very sorry for your loss. I don't know which is worse - knowing why and wondering if you could/should have done more to prevent it, or not knowing why. In any case, my heart goes out to you. :hugs:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I, also, believe that it was something sudden with the heart. He was never sick, totally normal, then gone in his sleep. I hope for so good a passing, and with someone who loves me as much nearby. Know this...there was nothing you could have done. The fact that he was in a normal sleeping position tells me that he went quickly and utterly without pain, for what cold comfort that might be.

Rest you gentle, Sandy, dream you deep. You will not be forgotten.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SandyDusty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all so much for your responses! It helps so much to know others are out there thinking and praying for us. I'm pretty sure you're all right about his heart. I needed some reassurance to be sure his brother and his "sister dog" are safe. I feel like they are. Dusty is a little sad, but not overly so. Sort of like "Sandy's gone. That's really sad. Hmmm.... do I get all the treats now?" LOL. Your responses will really help my daughter too. This was "her" kitten and she's taking it very hard. It's her first real brush with death. Thank all of you again for your kind words!

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SandyDusty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you, Mark and zed. Your words helped a lot. My daughter, Dusty, Gigi (the dog), and I are at peace now and have accepted this sad part of life. We have great memories of Sandy and know that he went in peace.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a beautiful grave! It will be a nice place for contemplation of Sandy whenever the loneliness hits. Thank you for the update on how all you are doing.... just a bit of warning...whether or not you plan it, often the loss of a cat creates a vacuum that the "Powers that Be" fills by sending another cat or kitten in dire need. :angel3: