Why am I already thinking about the end of my cat's life?

eevans3373

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I feel guilty for even writing this post, because others are grieving over actual loss, and I am not close to that yet. My cat is 10 years old, and other than what I'm pretty sure is arthritis (vet confirmation is coming soon), he hasn't had any serious problems yet.

But I've been reading a lot of Rainbow Bridge posts, and while this forum is full of amazing supportive people, I keep thinking about the fact that the time is going to come for my cat, Willy. He might have many years left, but there's no way of knowing, and that's part of the issue for me. I've had dogs as pets while growing up, and I've been through the process where an aggressive disease (cancer, in this case) comes out of seemingly nowhere. It's not knowing what to expect.
Sounds pretty normal to me. I used to have the same thoughts about my elderly cat Sammie. He came into my life when he was 11 and helped me out through a bad time.

In all likelihood you have at least another 5 maybe 10 years with him so don't obsess over it too much. Just make sure he gets his regular checkups and watch out for any troubling changes in behavior as he gets older.

For contingency planning purposes, what I would recommend is researching quality of life checklists and euthanasia options in your area (having a home vet do it vs. taking your cat to a clinic) so when the time comes you will have a clear course of action to manage the end of your furry friend's life. Then put it aside and out of your mind until the time comes. Enjoy the time you have with your pet and don't obsess over its end. None of us knows how long we will have with our furry friends.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In all likelihood you have at least another 5 maybe 10 years with him so don't obsess over it too much. Just make sure he gets his regular checkups and watch out for any troubling changes in behavior as he gets older.
Your reply to this thread basically reminded me how strange life is.

See this more recent thread I started. Willy might have cancer.

I was recently thinking about how it wasn't long ago that I started this thread, and I am now confronted with an issue that has implications for Willy's life.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds pretty normal to me. I used to have the same thoughts about my elderly cat Sammie. He came into my life when he was 11 and helped me out through a bad time.

For contingency planning purposes, what I would recommend is researching quality of life checklists and euthanasia options in your area (having a home vet do it vs. taking your cat to a clinic) so when the time comes you will have a clear course of action to manage the end of your furry friend's life. Then put it aside and out of your mind until the time comes. Enjoy the time you have with your pet and don't obsess over its end. None of us knows how long we will have with our furry friends.
That's really sound advice. When my Cheech (at 18) was in the last stage of his life as a diabetic I knew our time was short.... I scrambled to put money aside to make final arrangements in advance,I was going for broke between his meds,Rx food,treatments & frequent vet visits -I'm glad I did because when thst day did come there was nothing to think about

We can really never be fully prepared for such things because no one is guaranteed any tomorrows,,no matter age or heath condition so it's wise to understand its not a matter of",if" but ",when" and embrace each day as it comes

One of my dearest friends just lost her beloved Bentley only 3 days ago' beautiful Maine Coon only 6 yrs old.....so have your ducks in a riw but definitely enjoy every single moment of life

eevans3373

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's really sound advice. When my Cheech (at 18) was in the last stage of his life as a diabetic I knew our time was short.... I scrambled to put money aside to make final arrangements in advance,I was going for broke between his meds,Rx food,treatments & frequent vet visits -I'm glad I did because when thst day did come there was nothing to think about
Having everything arranged ahead of time helped immensely when I had to send my Sammie across the rainbow bridge. I was able to maximize his quality of life and time with him until he decided he was ready to move on. The day before his trip across the rainbow bridge I had some of his favorite people stop by and say goodbye. On the day of his journey, I had a home vet come out and send him on his way in the frist place I met him. Sitting on his green blanket on the back of the couch.

eevans3373

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The story doesn't end there. Two weeks later I found these two prowling around the dumpster of my complex.
Kittens4.jpg

hspot

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wanted to answer this yesterday when I first read it, but I am still grieving. I tried to 'know' for the past year that she would leave me soon, hoping that would make it easier....it did not. I think I knew I was gonna be a mess when Tabitha passed, especially if I had to euthanize her. So I just loved her as much as I could, however I could for the last year of her life, not knowing if and/or when it would happen.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
I wanted to answer this yesterday when I first read it, but I am still grieving. I tried to 'know' for the past year that she would leave me soon, hoping that would make it easier....it did not. I think I knew I was gonna be a mess when Tabitha passed, especially if I had to euthanize her. So I just loved her as much as I could, however I could for the last year of her life, not knowing if and/or when it would happen.
My deepest condolences rip little Tabitha
I'm so sorry for your loss-:alright:

hspot

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My deepest condolences rip little Tabitha
I'm so sorry for your loss-:alright:
Thankyou. I was only posting this because I wanted to let the author know to just love his kitten as much as he can for as long as he can, instead of dwelling on when it might happen. I had to stop typing because it was getting a bit too difficult.