Who Knows About Roses?

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know I've seen people post pictures of beautiful rose bushes they have in their yards before so I'm asking here!

I've recently discovered a beautiful rose bush under my elderly neighbor's tree. Can I start a new bush from a cutting? I know they sell root-starting solutions but I've never tried this myself. I'm thinking it should be started in a good size pot? Indoors or outdoors?

The bush is under a tall pine tree and I never knew it was there! A few years ago one of our trees came down and took out a bunch of the lower branches of this pine. The only thing I remember seeing under there before were mushrooms. :lol: But now there are all these wild, dark fuchsia blooms and they are SO pretty!! :loveeyes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
IMG_9790.JPG
IMG_9786.JPG
IMG_9785.JPG
IMG_9788.JPG
I finally got some pictures but the blooms are dropping. :paperbag::doh: The weather wasn't cooperating for me. You can see what a mess it is where they are growing. Maybe it adds to their charm. :)

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ok this looks like an "older" type rose, possibly wild. They are called Species roses.

Does it rebloom? If not, I think for sure it's an older type; semi-double or possibly double bloom (petal count) tend to be from that type. Either that, or it's the root stock gone wild.

The fact that's it appears to be a climbing rose adds to my suspicions.

I forget where you live. That could help me narrow it down. Some species roses are considered invasive!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Im not sure if it reblooms. Its definitely wild and unkempt looking now. I'll have to watch it this summer. I really don't remember it blooming before. There is a lot of Virginia Creeper that grows back there since the tree was damaged. DH is forever pulling it from our bushes.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Im not sure if it reblooms. Its definitely wild and unkempt looking now. I'll have to watch it this summer. I really don't remember it blooming before. There is a lot of Virginia Creeper that grows back there since the tree was damaged. DH is forever pulling it from our bushes.
When I moved into my current home, there were several species roses growing wild in the garden. The prior owner didn't do a darn thing to the landscaping for 30 years. We had it all pulled out once I found out it was an invasive type. Pretty as it was. I'm sure yours is far enough away to not take over actual garden beds.

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes

Grow your roses!

They're not poisonous to cats or people!

Keep us apprised of your progress.

Species roses are easier from cuttings than hybrid teas which need to be grafted.

Tell your neighbor thanks if she lets you take cutting