White Eye Spot Appeared On Sick Feral Cat I'm Taking Care Of This Week

Manyi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

I've been taking care of a feral cat for the last 8 days. She stopped eating for the last month, so I took her to a vet last week and they found out that an abscess was causing her pain and stopping her from breathing. They emptied it, but she now have an open wound that requires constant care from me.

This morning I discovered that she have a milky spot on her eye with a part of her iris detached. I took her to the vet, but only the assistant was present and told me to apply Tobramycin drops for the next 4 days.

I'm not sure about this. I'm afraid it might be something more serious. He told me it's a "wound" but I would like to hear your opinions about this please.

Here are some pictures :

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would not mess around with her eye. Can you find another vet to take a look?

She certainly must be a stray if you can handle her to get medicine in her eye! That is very fortunate.

What are your plans for this one when she is healthy? Will you be keeping her or finding a home for her? I hope she is spayed!

Thank you for caring for her. She is very lucky to have you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Manyi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the compliments. It's really encouraging !

Unfortunately, I can't keep her since I'm already living with a cat that hates other cats. I'll try my chance with local Facebook groups, but if no one wants to take her. I'll return her to the university where she's been living for the last 4.5 years. I'm sure she'll be happy climbing trees again. She's not spayed, but she's infertile and never got into heat.

I would rather not take her to the other vet in my area. I'm suspecting him for euthanizing my previous rescue instead of giving her a chance just because she's a stray.

I can handle her to get medicine in her eye (Not easy though :blush: : imgur.com/a/C0cyD47) but I'm more concerned by the diagnosis as her problem seems to me more serious than requiring 4 days of drops only.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree that she's a stray, not a feral. Is she currently living outdoors, or is she in your house? If she's indoors, I would not return her to life outdoors, especially since she's been getting infections. Who would care for her if you returned her to the university? Would someone feed her daily, and take her to the vet when she's sick? There are more important things for a cat than being able to climb trees.

I think it's important that you get her a SNAP test (which tests for Feline AIDS and Feline Leukemia). If she has FIV (AIDS), then she really needs to be an indoor only cat, because she will continue to get frequent infections, and the stress of living outdoors increases those. Also, she could infect other cats if she were to bite them. Cats with AIDS can live a normal lifespan, but they require an indoor living situation and a responsible caregiver. I think that in light of her infections, she should be tested for this disease.

Also, how do you know she hasn't had kittens? Infertility is very rare in a cat. It's possible that she was owned by someone who spayed her, and later on dumped her. Sometimes a vet can tell if a female cat has been spayed, sometimes not, but it's worth asking about.

I hope you'll consider taking her in. She is already becoming dependent on you for care. Also, cats do learn to co-exist peacefully, I would never conclude that a particular cat hates other cats. With some time, patience, and proper and slow introductions, a new cat can be fully integrated with a resident cat. I have five rescued cats in my house, and they are all very different. And I mean VERY different, two are special needs because of medical issues, and the other three are very spirited, but they learned to live peaceably and are never lonely or bored when I'm at work for long periods of time. So it can be done, don't rule it out yet as a possibility.

Thanks you for taking care of this kitty and getting her to a vet, and I hope you will call the vet who last treated her and ask him all of your questions, and don't get off the phone until every one is answered to your satisfaction. And get the SNAP test.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I completely agree with Ms Aimee. You do want to have her SNAP tested. Have a vet look to see if she has a spay scar or if she has a tattoo that designates she has been spayed.

I have 6 rescue cats living in my house. I recently moved and brought 3 feral cats with me to integrate into my home with my other 3 cats. It is taking work, patience, time and love. Yet they are all learning to live together. Most cats will learn to coexist with each other. By being sure you have lots of vertical space ( tall cat trees, shelving) cats can get up and away from one another. There are also lots of tips and tricks when introducing cats. Since she is already living in your house and separated from your resident cat, the first step has already been done. I am certain your resident cats knows there is another cat in the house. How is she reacting?

Just be sure that you have this kitty tested for FIV and FELV. You don't want to return her if she is infected.

I would make an appointment with the regular vet to have her eye re-examined. At that time, get her SNAP tested. It just requires a small amount of blood and takes about 10-15 minutes for the results. You might also want to get her vaccinated.

Manyi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the reply. She's currently in my house, but she has always lived outdoor. As for feeding and vet, I've assumed this responsibility for the last year, and I'll continue to take care of them as long as I can.

You're right about the SNAP test. I'll have her tested for it since she's getting too many infections. I'll also be actively searching for a loving home for her, and if no one want to take her, she'll be staying with me :happycat:

Manyi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My resident cas is really curious about her. I always find her sniffing and sitting next to the room where I have her confined :lol:

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You are wonderful! If she turns out to be FIV+ it is really important you keep her inside only. This will help her to get less infections. Yet, FIV is NOT a death sentence. Many vets will tell you that you need to put the cat to sleep and that your other cat(s) can get it. First off it is an immune system illness. The only way your other cat can get it is if there is a major fight and a very deep bite wound occurs. Most cats that are spayed/neutered do not fight aggressively like that at all.

I currently have 2 FIV+ cats living in the mix of my 6 cats. They are both doing great health wise. I do give them each an immune supplement each day, but neither cat is showing any signs of the illness.

Now FELV+ is another story. This is very easily transferred between cats. The virus lives in the salivia so cats that share food, grooming, bedding and litter boxes are all capable of getting the virus.

Also be aware that SNAP tests can show false positives for FELV. If she tests positive you could get a more definitive blood test (IFA).

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there a nearby town where there is a different vet you could go to?

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's actually a great sign. She is curious, not hostile. If they begin to play "pawsies" with each other underneath the door, then you might have a pair of cat buddies in the making. In my experience, Stray cats are always happy to find a new home and don't want to live outside.