Where is a cats adam apple located?

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
The other night I noticed, when petting Sammy, that he has what initially I thought was a lump in his throat. It's toward the front and on the right side of his throat. He doesn't have it on the other side. I felt Jasper and he doesn't seem to have one though I read his might not be developed yet. I'll be taking Sammy to the vet to have it checked anyway but... it didn't feel rock hard or anything like that. I'm just curious if this could be his adams apple? I can't seem to find any info online about -where- the exact placement is.

Just to edit:
He has no symptoms of throat cancer, his gums are pink & his nose is wet and cold. He's eating/drinking just fine. But I'm very quick to jump to worse case scenario so I'm trying to see if this may just be something silly like an adams apple before I freak out too much (he's still going to the vet either way x.x)

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Could you share a picture?

Search for Syphnx cat on Google Images. As they don't have hair, their bone structure is more apparent. Here's one for example

1593594293954.png

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. According to this article (see link below) cats do have a Adam's Apple, and it does take time to mature to full size - around 1 1/2 to 2 yo. But, it could also be a tumor, so I do think it is wise for you to have your vet check it out, just to be on the safe side.
Do Male Cats Have Adam's Apples?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Krienze

Super Cat
Purraise
Could you share a picture?

Search for Syphnx cat on Google Images. As they don't have hair, their bone structure is more apparent. Here's one for example

View attachment 341300
Not really sure how to take a picture to be honest, he's kind of fluffy and it's not noticeable through his floof.

Hi. According to this article (see link below) cats do have a Adam's Apple, and it does take time to mature to full size - around 1 1/2 to 2 yo. But, it could also be a tumor, so I do think it is wise for you to have your vet check it out, just to be on the safe side.
Do Male Cats Have Adam's Apples?
Thank you! I saw that article but it didn't mention placement of the adams apple, I wasn't sure if on a cat if it was on the side or middle
I'm going to have my vet check, but I'm starting to think it might be muscle? (it goes back toward his neck area smoothly and moves when I move his head. It's not round at all, or hard and when I press it it does feel like muscle.) Still plan on bringing it up to the vet when we go though.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are lymph nodes in the neck, you might be feeling that to. If you push hard enough I know theres at least one you can easily feel. I know this cause I felt that on my cat to and freaked out lol. Having lost a cat from cancer any lumps are super scary now. But everyone said it was just a lymph node haha.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Krienze

Super Cat
Purraise
There are lymph nodes in the neck, you might be feeling that to. If you push hard enough I know theres at least one you can easily feel. I know this cause I felt that on my cat to and freaked out lol. Having lost a cat from cancer any lumps are super scary now. But everyone said it was just a lymph node haha.
I'm THINKING that could be what it is too. It doesn't feel hard like a lump and if I feel it far enough it's like it goes all the way back kind of smoothly, like it transitions rather than just being rooted in like a normal lump would be. He doesn't have one on the other side though, which is why I worried but after feeling it, like I said, it really doesn't feel like a lump-lump at all. I'm still going to have the vet check it out to be on the safe side, though