When Will Labour Start?

aruss

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know there are a lot of similar threads to this so apologies for another...
My cat is heavily pregnant but I do not know exactly when she mated (definitely spaying after kittens - felt really stupid when I realised I'd let her 'get caught'). I keep thinking "it must be now" but then nothing!
She has very large nipples, easily felt through her thick fur, although I am unable to tell if she has started lactating yet. I can easily feel the kittens move (over the last day or two she doesn't like me to do this, even though she was fine with it before) and I can actually see her stomach bumping around with their movement inside. She is obviously struggling to move as comfortably as usual in terms of jumping up into chairs, etc, or finding a comfortable sleeping position. She is still eating a lot but has had rather loose, smelly stools today which is a new thing. Over the last 24 - 48 hours she has become more restless, seeming unable to stay comfortable in one place for very long and pacing around the house. She has also been keen to try to get in every time I open a cupboard and today she was snuggled in amongst the toys on my child's bed, something I haven't seen her do before. She is doing a lot of genital licking and appears very red and swollen down there.
Having said all this; she isn't off her food, making an obvious nest, being very vocal or demonstrating any obvious temperature changes.
So - is it likely that she is close to labour or am I just wishful thinking?!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She sounds very close to labor if she is not already in early labor.

Have you made a nest for her in a private place? P

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

aruss

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

I hope she is as she's definitely fed up, poor thing!
Yes, we have made her a nest in our spare bedroom. This is where she has been eating since I realised she was pregnant and her litter tray is just outside the door (I'll put that in there too once the kittens arrive). It's a very large cardboard box, lined with old towels and sheets with a covering too. However, as the saying goes(!), you can lead a horse to water...
So far she hasn't been very keen to get in it but I'm hoping that when the delivery is imminent she will realise that there aren't many other quiet, comfortable places to go in the house!

aruss

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

She's had about three poos this morning and just vomited. Is that something to worry about or just a normal signal of labour?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Be observant. Can be entirely normal, can be something else. They CAN be sick for real although pregnant.

But tight poos even diarreatish, and even some vomiting, is common the day before delivery.

aruss

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Be observant. Can be entirely normal, can be something else. They CAN be sick for real although pregnant.

But tight poos even diarreatish, and even some vomiting, is common the day before delivery.
Thanks for the quick reply. She doesn't seem to want breakfast this morning which is the first time she hasn't been hovering about to be fed first thing.
I'll keep a close watch on her today.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Again, non eating may be along with the nearing delivery - yet another sign. As she is high preg, the statistics are heavily for it.
But we cant know for sure, so its important to be observant as long not everything is going so so.

aruss

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How are things going?
She was trying to nest in my son's bed again so I moved a few of his soft toys with her, into the nest. This seemed to make her happier as she can snuggle in. Noticed she was wet and then realised her back end is all sticky with a brownish yellow goo. I guess this is the plug going?
Now she's in the nest, licking her bits a lot but still quiet and purring when I stroke her. I've shut the door now so everything she needs is in there and she can't bolt off to another part of the house.
I think this must be it!

Attachments

aruss

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Three kittens! Not sure if she's finished yet. Still panting but they all came in close succession so maybe she's done?

LotsOfFur

What greater gift than the love of a cat.
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow! Congrats to the new family. Looking forward to seeing pics. Mama is beautiful :hearthrob:

aruss

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Unbelievably quick! All five within about 45 mins! Really took me by surprise.

Attachments