When we are in quarantine

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been in Nara deer park. Vendng machines sell little packets of food to feed to the deer. They are so tame they'll try to pull a food packet out of your pocket.

No tourists. No packets of deer food. Hungry deer coming into town looking for food.

Difficult to see this as positive.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been in Nara deer park. Vendng machines sell little packets of food to feed to the deer. They are so tame they'll try to pull a food packet out of your pocket.

No tourists. No packets of deer food. Hungry deer coming into town looking for food.

Difficult to see this as positive.
Yes, it is; but hopefully they will soon see that that is not the optimum environment and be able to walk on through to sources of sustenance.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Nara deer are basically zoo animals. Somebody should be feeding them :/. There isn't really anywhere for them to go to be truly wild.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Yes, it is; but hopefully they will soon see that that is not the optimum environment and be able to walk on through to sources of sustenance.
That's very unlikely I'm afraid. Nara Park is in the center of the city for one thing and these are animals that have been fed by people for years. It's like expecting a colony of tame outdoor cats to suddenly move away from their home and learn how to hunt for themselves because their caretakers have disappeared.

:sniffle:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It may be too that since people are home more, and observing their surroundings more, there are more animals being spotted that have always been there. I am at least a mile from sparsely populated areas and live on a busy street and a block from a hospital and near a busy dairy, and have raccoons, herds of deer, a fox at times, possums, turkeys, and even quail come in at night almost every night. We have lived in many houses in large towns and have always had wildlife come in to feed on my cat food. Right in the middle of town. The deer destroyed a lot of my garden, and the raccoons are destructive too. And the moles!
Since my feral has been getting beat up so much I bring in the food every night now. It was ridiculous how much they were eating!

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
It may be too that since people are home more, and observing their surroundings more, there are more animals being spotted that have always been there. I am at least a mile from sparsely populated areas and live on a busy street and a block from a hospital and near a busy dairy, and have raccoons, herds of deer, a fox at times, possums, turkeys, and even quail come in at night almost every night. We have lived in many houses in large towns and have always had wildlife come in to feed on my cat food. Right in the middle of town. The deer destroyed a lot of my garden, and the raccoons are destructive too. And the moles!
Since my feral has been getting beat up so much I bring in the food every night now. It was ridiculous how much they were eating!
I'm pretty much inclined to agree with this since for years we had foxes, possums, groundhogs, raccoons and other such wildlife. We have wild turkey, barred owls, deer and I live in a suburban area. Last year armadillo was spotted in regions of St Louis.

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We always seem to have deer around. When it has snowed, you can tell they've been in the parking lot.

I wonder if we'll start seeing other animals now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We share our environment with oppossums, skunks, rats, mice, birds, insects, raccoons, and who knows who all else? in addition to the awful coyotes. Just because you don't see them does not mean they are not there. Our home is fairly close to the foothills and with our frequent droughts and fires, animals who live in them are forced to come down into human populations to find food. This is one of many reasons why I'm so adamant about keeping cats indoors all the time unless they are in secure catios or on cat harness and leash, with a human caregiver at the other end.