When to switch from kitten to adult food?

Meekie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My kitten is seven months old now. At the time of her spay she wasn't eating well and while discussing this with the doctor, she said I could start feeding her adult cat food. I asked if better palatability was the reason she suggested this, and she said no, once they are spayed or neutered they are technically adults and can begin the transition to adult food.

I was always under the impression that 10 to 12 months was when you made the change.

Maple is a picky eater and will only eat seafood. Many brands don't offer a whole lot of fish choices in kitten food so I have begin mixing it up a bit to get her to eat well.

Is it too soon? When does everybody switch from kitten to adult food?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
I copied the two paragraphs below from a Cat Site article on Kitten Nutrition to give you some information;

During their first months, kittens develop food preferences that will stay with them for life. To avoid finicky eating habits later, you should feed various flavors of foods during this time. Remember that, if you switch between food types, you must always do so gradually by mixing the original food with increasing quantities of the new food.

Keep feeding the kittens with kitten or growth cat food until they are one year old. At that stage, gradually change their diet into regular maintenance cat food. Although many cats keep on growing after they are a year old, the accelerated growth of kittenhood is usually complete and the cats can adjust to adult cat food and regular eating habits.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Meekie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Uh-oh. I hope she doesn't get stuck on seafood. I've heard it can eventually cause UTI's.

I've been sneaking some chicken food with her fish whenever I can.

Thanks for the info!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Kittens can also eat any food that is labeled as "for all life stages" and can continue to eat it well into adulthood.