When to move off kitten food

Jayskalo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all!

so my kitten Pistachio (almost 9 months) is currently eating kitten food (wellness core pate), while her older sibling Gouda (10.5y) eats the wellness shreds.

just curious on thoughts and experiences on switching older kittens to adult food? Pistachio LOVES Gouda’s food so much more than her own. And I feel like she is starting to get a little bit of a pooch so we’re trying to keep an eye on that as well. (We exercise her many times a day and she sleeps through the night so I don’t think lack of movement is the issue here). It took a lot of trial and error and the kitten food she is eating is definitely what she likes BEST out of the available wet kitten foods, but I’m not sure if switching to a lower calorie food that she likes more would be better since she’s close to the year mark.

any advice is appreciated!

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hi all!

so my kitten Pistachio (almost 9 months) is currently eating kitten food (wellness core pate), while her older sibling Gouda (10.5y) eats the wellness shreds.

just curious on thoughts and experiences on switching older kittens to adult food? Pistachio LOVES Gouda’s food so much more than her own. And I feel like she is starting to get a little bit of a pooch so we’re trying to keep an eye on that as well. (We exercise her many times a day and she sleeps through the night so I don’t think lack of movement is the issue here). It took a lot of trial and error and the kitten food she is eating is definitely what she likes BEST out of the available wet kitten foods, but I’m not sure if switching to a lower calorie food that she likes more would be better since she’s close to the year mark.

any advice is appreciated!
If Pistachio is a normal breed cat, she'll mature at 1 year old and that's when you slowly transit her over to adult food.

Since she's been pinching Gouda's food and she has no digestive problems with the food, looks like Pistachio kind of transited over to adult food already. I guess you can put that on that for her.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi,welcome!
You can but personally,with my own kittens ,I don't give them adult food until a year old,It's hard in multi cat households as the kittens sort of want what everyone else has- lol

The " pooch"- just asking now but you've wormed them? I'm not exactly sure what a pooch is- I think too young for a primordial pouch so I'm wondering if you mean a little chubby or full belly look?Your talking about the younger one,right?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jayskalo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,welcome!
You can but personally,with my own kittens ,I don't give them adult food until a year old,It's hard in multi cat households as the kittens sort of want what everyone else has- lol

The " pooch"- just asking now but you've wormed them? I'm not exactly sure what a pooch is- I think too young for a primordial pouch so I'm wondering if you mean a little chubby or full belly look?Your talking about the younger one,right?
Thank you for the advice! I just want to make sure she is getting everything she needs nutritionally.

And to follow up, yes the younger one - she has been checked for worms and all clear! (I try to check in the box as well every so often just in case). She doesn’t have a pouch yet, she’s just getting a teeny bit of chub in her belly. She’s crazy food motivated so she isn’t really one I can trust to tell me when she’s really full haha. She’d be 20 lbs if it was up to her.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the advice! I just want to make sure she is getting everything she needs nutritionally.

And to follow up, yes the younger one - she has been checked for worms and all clear! (I try to check in the box as well every so often just in case). She doesn’t have a pouch yet, she’s just getting a teeny bit of chub in her belly. She’s crazy food motivated so she isn’t really one I can trust to tell me when she’s really full haha. She’d be 20 lbs if it was up to her.
:flail: I have one like that,my Russian Blue- she was a teeny little kitten thst could eat like a little pony and now she weights 15.3 lbs which is overweight for her size.... have to keep an eye on the lil sneak too and scoop up everyone else's dishes when their finished becsusd shell clean them all out if I'm not on it....

Look at thst belly
IMG_20221014_140629522.jpg