When to get a second cat?

tracyb92

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 2 year old female that we’ve had since she was about 4 weeks old that we rescued. I work from home so she is always with me and has gotten used to me being around all the time. She’s very cuddly and attached to me and my husband. We just went out of town for the weekend and she had diarrhea everywhere for the entire time we were gone and as soon as we came back it stopped and she’s fine again. She obviously has separation anxiety. The plan was always to get another cat to keep her company but we’re renting with a roommate and were waiting until we got our own place to get a second cat.

Here’s my dilemma:

We’re moving into a house at the beginning of May but I am pregnant and due in July. I want to give her time to acclimate to the new house before throwing a new cat at her but then a baby is coming soon after that.

How long should we let her get settled at the new house before we get another cat? Should we try to get one before or after the baby gets here?

Thanks!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
I have a couple questions. Did you have anyone stop in while you were gone? Was there a food change or did something occur that frightened her (ie, do you have cameras set up inside and out when you're away?)

I'm concerned that a new cat will not only complicate things, but also there's no guarantee that a second cat will fulfill your expectations.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Honestly,I would not get another since she is so attached to you. I would worry about the cats fighting with the baby arounnd

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tracyb92

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi
I have a couple questions. Did you have anyone stop in while you were gone? Was there a food change or did something occur that frightened her (ie, do you have cameras set up inside and out when you're away?)

I'm concerned that a new cat will not only complicate things, but also there's no guarantee that a second cat will fulfill your expectations.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i wouldnt theres a huge amount of change in the near future for your current cat. it will have to deal with sharing your attention cause lets face it being a mom is the hardest job in the world. thats not counting once your baby begins to crawl and get grabby with your cat. congratulations on your soon to be newborn also.i'll also add this bit to buy a really tall stable cat tree to so your cat can get up and away from your kid when it wants to so your kid doesnt get bit or clawed up

tracyb92

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My mom took care of her while we were gone and she’s comfortable with my mom. She’s been on the same food for over a year so that’s what my mom fed her. I don’t think anything happened that frightened her because my mom would have said something to me. She said the diarrhea started the night we left and it stopped as soon as we got home so I can’t think of any reason why she’d be having diarrhea other than being stressed that we left

tracyb92

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i wouldnt theres a huge amount of change in the near future for your current cat. it will have to deal with sharing your attention cause lets face it being a mom is the hardest job in the world. thats not counting once your baby begins to crawl and get grabby with your cat. congratulations on your soon to be newborn also.i'll also add this bit to buy a really tall stable cat tree to so your cat can get up and away from your kid when it wants to so your kid doesnt get bit or clawed up
Thank you! I’ll be sure to give her her own space away from the baby

tracyb92

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi

Sorry I meant to reply to you but replied on a separate post.
My mom took care of her while we were gone and she’s comfortable with my mom. She’s been on the same food for over a year so that’s what my mom fed her. I don’t think anything happened that frightened her because my mom would have said something to me. She said the diarrhea started the night we left and it stopped as soon as we got home so I can’t think of any reason why she’d be having diarrhea other than being stressed that we left

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
its quite possible my lil sisters Chihuahua is like that any time she takes a weekend trip even though her husband is home with it still

tracyb92

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Honestly,I would not get another since she is so attached to you. I would worry about the cats fighting with the baby arounnd
I thought so. I guess I will just have to see how everything goes with the baby and how she settles into the new house and decide in a few months

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I thought so. I guess I will just have to see how everything goes with the baby and how she settles into the new house and decide in a few months
Great idea. You dont want to be stuck doing cat intros with a newborn either! Unfortunately, that's generally a recipe for disaster because humans are stressed and the cats get stressed from it.

Hopefully these articles can help you going forward!

Separation Anxiety In Cats - Understanding, Experiences, And Tips - TheCatSite

How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home - TheCatSite

Cats And Babies - All Your Questions Answered! - TheCatSite