When The Loss Is Sudden - Our Lovely Mia (fip)

twotabbies

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We lost our kitty Princess in November of 2018 due to complications from multiple concurrent diseases, all of which we tried to treat but just got worse. A month after her passing, we felt ready enough to open our hearts to a new cat. Mia found us at the rescue. While we were looking at and playing with all of the other adorable cats and kittens, she came up and bumped me with her head. I picked her up and she melted in my arms like butter - same with my husband. She loved to be held and close.

She was the sweetest, most chill girl I have ever met. She was brave, too. She never got scared by the vacuum or a loud noise. Even the high energy of our other cat never fazed her.

She loved to play with plastic springs and the rainbow chaser. She loved her sunny seat and watching the world from a window. She loved to cuddle and sleep with us every night, and watch tv with us on the ottoman every single night. She was black and white - a shadow with a blaze of white.

Over the past week she grew more lethargic than usual, and we resolved to take her in, so we did yesterday. She was sleeping all the time and had lost interest in food, had trouble coordinating her legs and was stumbling. This is difficult to see in any cat especially a cat of only one year old. Our primary vet recommended she be seen at a referral vet, and when we took her in and the vet said “FIP,” all the air went out of the room. (She has the wet form with fluid in her abdomen.) I’m guessing most of you know or have heard of FIP - it’s a deadly disease that affects mostly young cats, and has no effective treatment course or cure.

We didn’t want to believe the reality we were faced with, but there was only one right choice to make for Mia, so we helped her across the rainbow bridge. I am in shock and disbelief that she’s gone. My heart feels hollow losing two babies back to back like this. I don’t know how or if we’ll ever be able to love another cat again. Mia was the perfect addition to our home and our other cat seems to be looking for his “cool friend.”

I can’t believe our time together was cut so short. Mia, I loved you with my whole heart and I still do. A year wasn’t enough time for you to be here and we only had you for four short months, but you will never be forgotten.

Just wanted to share Mia’s story. I can’t believe I’m actually writing this. Everything is so hard right now.

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Mia, honey, baby, you didn't have enough time here but you made a huge impact on your family.

RIP sweetheart, your struggles are over, your strength and grace have been returned to you and you are now forever in a place of sunshine, your favorite spring toys, more sunshine and lots of soft beds. :rbheart:

To the OP, my heart goes out to you. Maybe this will help a bit;
Day By Day Caregiver Support Inc. – Providing compassionate support for the grief that comes before, during and after the loss of a pet

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh this is terrible, we were doing good with no kitty losses now we seem to be getting many of them again, so so sad. I am sorry that you lost your little friend and after only a year, but you packed that year with lots of love and fun times but it certainly is not long enough, no amount of time is. But for some reason it was her time to go and move on, I don't know why but it just was and she is fine now just fine, it is you who is understandably hurting and we know that awful feeling. I am so sorry for both of your recent loses....

"It is better to have had a good short life than a bad long one"

"Their last breath on Earth is their first breath in Heaven" :rbheart:

I hope that your heart heals a bit more each day, Lord Bless you....:alright: :grouphug: :rbheart:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

twotabbies

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh this is terrible, we were doing good with no kitty losses now we seem to be getting many of them again, so so sad. I am sorry that you lost your little friend and after only a year, but you packed that year with lots of love and fun times but it certainly is not long enough, no amount of time is. But for some reason it was her time to go and move on, I don't know why but it just was and she is fine now just fine, it is you who is understandably hurting and we know that awful feeling. I am so sorry for both of your recent loses....

"It is better to have had a good short life than a bad long one"

"Their last breath on Earth is their first breath in Heaven" :rbheart:

I hope that your heart heals a bit more each day, Lord Bless you....:alright: :grouphug: :rbheart:
Thank you. Unfortunately she was a year old but we adopted her at 8 months. So she had been in shelters before us. We only got to have her for the last 4 months of her life. So devastated.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
But what wonderful 4 months those were! Love is the greatest gift we give, never broken it bonds forever. Mia was so fortunate you found and adopted her and could focus on her in a way that even the best intentions can't in the shelter. And you were so fortunate to have that lovely bright spirit in your lives even for a much too short time.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It breaks my heart to hear this, poor sweet Mia. FIP is horrible, awful, and no cat should have to suffer with it.

We had the same situation several years ago, lost a wonderful cat to cancer, and met Darcy at the shelter. She was a sweet, laid back, chilled out girl like your Mia and I've never know a sweeter, more loving cat. Sadly, we only had her for a few months before FIP got her, but we will never forget her. I think you will not ever forget little Mia either. Like they told us about Darcy, at least she didn't have to spend her last days at a shelter and was fortunate to have a family who loved her and gave her the best care possible.

I felt sort of like I could love another cat (other than my Swanie), but we got Cricket to be a companion for him. I held back from loving her for a while, but she wormed her way into my heart. Cats have a way of doing that.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
This is heartbreaking. I am a loss for words.

At least, you gave Mia the best few months of her life. She will not remember what has happened to her before that, only the love and care that you gave her.

Goodnight, Mia. Rest in eternal peace, sweetheart.

Leomc123

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Im sorry that Mia had to leave you suddenly, i lost my cat MC just 2 days ago and i am as shocked and lost my other cat 3 months ago as well, back to back as well. Now i have no one else left and i feel the sadness and loneliness like you do. I am in a way that i cry but i dont know what my emotions are doing any more, today at work i cried in the morning and then stopped and i am home and now its like there is no emotions. I went to the back yard and realize there is no one there to feed or greet or to pat anymore. Its just quiet and depressing. I still pretend that they are there though in my mind. Im sorry that you have to go through this, i look at photos, and videos, and i dont know what else to do. Its just sad :(

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope you can find some comfort in that you were meant to be in her life. Through you she was able to know what love and a wonderful home was, she needed someone so badly and you were there. I truly believe it was meant to be, you finding her and taking care of her needs, letting her truly live for a while, and then being there for her at the end. She will now live on through you now, bonded to your soul through love, which is eternal. She will be forever as close as your thoughts and prayers.
It was horrible that she was called away so soon, I will never understand why such bad things happen to such good and innocent beings. You all were so incredibly lucky to have found each other, it breaks my heart to have it end this way.
You saved her from the pain and suffering that was sure to come, a future that would have consisted of enduring and existing, not truly living. For that I am sure she thanks you.
Try not to dwell on her end, but remember her in the good times. Though her life was cut tragically short, she wormed her way into a family's heart and became one in the family unit. She will be at peace carrying with her all the love she received, she opened your hearts to that love and the joy of returning a love so freely given.
My heart goes out to you for your loss. But what you have gained by having this sweet girl in your life is immeasurable. Take care of yoruselves, and please give your remaining little one a kiss from me......RIP dear Mia. You will never be forgotten, you will forever have a secure place in loving hearts. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!

meelasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss. I was told my cat had FIP, but found out after she was put down that she did not have all the signs of it, but the vet believed that's what she had, but even now, I still don't buy it. It is a terrible disease that need a cure. Hugs to you for what you are going through.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Mia, dream you deep. Your pawprints are on someone's heart forever.

I am SO sorry. FIP is a filthy disease, taking young, vibrant cats and kittens so quickly, before they really have a chance to live. But thanks to you, Mia lived a full life, if a short one, filled with love and joy and play and HOME! She left this adventure to start her Next Great Adventure with loving hearts and gentle hands easing her way through that Gate which we all must someday pass. But be sure that she loves you still, for love does not die. It continues on, still Love, and Love abides. Always and forever, Love abides.

rosegold

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I’m so so sorry for your loss of Mia. She certainly knew love and happiness with you—thank you for giving her a home, even for a few brief months. FIP is so unbelievably horrible to endure. My heart breaks for you.

I lost my Chai in December 2018 to wet FIP, and like you I had only had her for a couple months before she passed (though I’d known her for a year). Even 4 months after losing her, I still cry every day and there is a painful hole in my heart that will never fully heal. It is so hard. Sending love and comfort to you.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:alright: Condolences on your sad loss of Mia. Four months...only four months was all? so harsh, so unfair... and yet in those four months was a lifetime of love, joy, snuggles and toys and companions, the hearing of her name spoken with a smile, the thrill of seeing your delighted faces when she amused her with her antics....she charmed you at the shelter, knowing with her unique feline intuition, that you were her heart's answer to hopes & wants, just as she was destined to become your hearts' treasure.
she is with the ancestors and those yet to be born, knowing what you all know - true love that never dies.
Thank you for sharing your memories of sweet Mia with us - hers is a story that is touching many hearts