When The Lights Went Out In Nyc - 1977

Docs Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Those photos are neat ! I like looking at old photos...I do vaguely remember hearing about the blackout.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've been through all 3 major blackouts in NYC.
The first, was when I was very young. My dad was unable to get home from work, nor contact my mom who was home with us small kids. Very frightening for her especially, not knowing if he was ok.
The one in 1977 was when I just graduated high school. I was living in NJ at the time so luckily, we weren't much affected.
The last one was in August 2003. That, I have clear memories of because I was at work at the time. My husband, also in NYC working, actually walked to my office and climbed up 14 flights of stairs without being able to even let me know he was coming to get me. I was impressed by that. It was a terrible time trying to find a way to get out of the city. After hours of heading South and dark setting in quickly, a bus to Staten Island pulled up near us and there were still some seats. We went to his parents house, where things were not as dire. Borrowed one of their cars and drove back to NJ where our home was.
Actually, the 4th was after Hurricane Sandy and while not a black out per se, we did lose power for an entire week. That was extremely challenging to say the least.