When Should I Consider C-section For My Pregnant Cat?

Masha1983

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone.
One of my cats is pregnant and I'm guessing she's very close to 2 months. Now I have had queens delivering healthy kittens before and I'm pretty experienced with "normal" cat labour. However, this little lady's situation is different. My guess is she is not even 1 year old (I rescued her about a month ago), and she is very small. I mean, reeeeally small! Her belly is now almost 6 times bigger than her little head... You get the picture.
I am just starting to get a bit worried about her, thinking maybe labour will be a difficult, potentially harmful experience for her. So if anyone could give me a hint or two about when I should consider taking her for a c-section, I'd really appreciate it. So far the vet says all is normal with her but we never did an ultrasound, so... I'm not really sure.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Can you post her picture please?

The size of the belly usually is indicative of the size of the litter, but not necessarily of the kittens themselves.

She would not need intervention unless she is in distress, or pushing for an hour without a kitten being born.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Masha1983

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Can you post her picture please?

The size of the belly usually is indicative of the size of the litter, but not necessarily of the kittens themselves.

She would not need intervention unless she is in distress, or pushing for an hour without a kitten being born.
Hi Sarthur, and thanks for the reply. Here she is:
Screenshot_2017-06-06-22-43-16.png

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The statistics for cesareans arent very good, as far as I know. Momma usually survives, but babies often not. (unlike with humans!). Also, here is the extra twist against humans: A human baby is really done even a couple of months before the expecteed delivery, before the theoretical full term. So with humans, if in doubt, its just to do the cesarean if the surgeon / obstetrician doc is any decent. Not so with cats. Kittens arent ready made before shortly before the delivery - a couple of days early and they are premature. Several before and they are delivered dead or dying in minutes after delivery...
So, a cesaerean done too early practically is a death sentence for the kittens. This is the main reason why we in the most cases, recommend to wait it out. The balance of risks is heavy for trying to wait it out. Unless there is a clear emergency.

So also here, I will recommend to wait it out, esp as the vet isnt worried. Do prepare of course. You perhaps will need to rush her to the vet. But even such an emergency C-section, isnt more dangerous tha an too early C-section.

You said A not aborted them when it was good time. So now I think you shall say B too, and let her deliver...

Also, quite a few females are petite, and yet most of them deliver without big troubles. And she althoug young, is not a young kitten anymore...

The money betting is heavy it should go OK. But do prepare yourself as well you can! Including some kmr or goats milk, if mommas convalescence is long and you must help her out with handfeeding.

Last edited:

Masha1983

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The statistics for cesareans arent very good, as far as I know. Momma usually survives, but babies often not. (unlike with humans!). Also, here is the extra twist against humans: A human baby is really done even a couple of months before the expecteed delivery, before the theoretical full term. So with humans, if in doubt, its just to do the cesarean if the surgeon / obstetrician doc is any decent. Not so with cats. Kittens arent ready made before shortly before the delivery - a couple of days early and they are premature. Several before and they are delivered dead or dying in minutes after delivery...
So, a cesaerean done too early practically is a death sentence for the kittens. This is the main reason why we in the most cases, recommend to wait it out. The balance of risks is heavy for trying to wait it out. Unless there is a clear emergency.

So also here, I will recommend to wait it out, esp as the vet isnt worried. Do prepare of course. You perhaps will need to rush her to the vet. But even such an emergency C-section, isnt more dangerous tha an too early C-section.

You didnt said A and aborted them when it was good time. So now I think you shall say B too, and let her deliver...

Also, quite a few females are petite, and yet most of them deliver without big troubles. And she althoug young, is not a young kitten anymore...

The money betting is heavy it should go OK. But do prepare yourself as well you can! Including some kmr or goats milk, if mommas convalescence is long and you must help her out with handfeeding.
Thank you for the reply Stefan. I do hope no complications will occur once she goes into labor. There is no 24/7 vet where I live, so I'd keep my fingers crossed for her not to get into a midnight emergency :-)

Masha1983

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just a quick update :)
Mama cat gave birth to FIVE beautiful cubs a couple of hours ago ❤
The labor was pretty hard on her, being young and inexperienced and small in built, but without any complications. Poor thing was frightened though, so I stayed next to her for the whole time and we talked. Well, she talked mostly, I agreed and assured her nothing terrible is going to happen.
Anyway, a big thank you to you guys from me and the young lady.
Cheers,
Masha (& Max:bigeyes:)