When is Vomiting a cause For alarm?

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Good evening from my side of the world. Just a quick question as it is already late now and I cannot call the vet for questions or appointment until tomorrow: I have noticed my Bourbon vomited since yesterday. I was not worried yesterday as it happened only twice and there was not much. But today when we arrived home late I saw vomit in the kitchen and in the bedroom. I suspected it was Barley this time. After feeding them I saw a trail of vomit again but did not see who did it. An hour passed when I saw Bourbon in the act. Then after a while she vomited again. One vomit was colorless while the others were either yellow or brown. Now I AM WORRIED. Is this now a cause for alarm or I am just being extremely over reacting again like what my husband told me earlier? How frequent is under the range of ‘normal’ when it comes to cat vomiting? I also noticed she drank alot of water earlier, which is odd because Bourbon is not the type who drinks a lot. I need to calm my nerves.

here she is resting:
D6821823-F148-4A3C-A6A6-EAACAFB92917.jpeg

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. It sounds like enough vomiting going on to warrant a call to the vet when you can. It doesn't sound from your description that she is throwing up food, but more likely gastric juices, and possibly mostly digested food (brown in color, especially if their food is of a similar coloring)? No hair in them? Don't remember the age of your cats, but obviously the older they are the more cause for concern.

It would help to ensure it is just one of them throwing up as opposed to both (sounds like you might have already determined it is just Bourbon, yes?).

Do they go outside at all, anything that they could have gotten into out there? Anything inside the house that they 'found;' and ingested?

A lot of folks on this site would recommend you try some boiled chicken, sort as a stomach soother, as opposed to their regular food. I have never tried that, so I can't speak to its effectiveness.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Maria Bayote

Top Cat
Purraise
but more likely gastric juices, and possibly mostly digested food (brown in color, especially if their food is of a similar coloring)? No hair in them?
Their wet food is quite similar in coloring. No hairball.

Don't remember the age of your cats, but obviously the older they are the more cause for concern.
Bourbon is around 5 years old.

It would help to ensure it is just one of them throwing up as opposed to both (sounds like you might have already determined it is just Bourbon, yes?).
Yes I caught Bourbon in the act already and Barley seems normal like usual. So I am sure it is Bourbon.

Do they go outside at all, anything that they could have gotten into out there? Anything inside the house that they 'found;' and ingested?
They are all strictly indoor cats. When she goes out she is not even on a leash. I carry her like a baby in my arms outside.

It is late now here. I will keep monitoring her. Thank you.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you changed food brands of flavors recently? Sometimes that will cause upset. Has she been pooping? I would get her to the vet to have an x-ray to check for a blockage.

Tagrendy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's too often to be normal in my opinion, but if she ate after vomiting, she probably would vomit again even if the issue is only upset stomach. It would be good if she didn't have access to any food for a few hours, only water. Then something easy to digest, like boiled chicken breast rather than commercial food could be better option ( unless she has allergy for chicken or sth ). Drinking water is expected as after vomiting she has gotten dehydrated.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Vomiting is always a cause for concern, as it is not something Cats (or almost any other animal for that matter) normally do. I'd keep an eye on her and see if she's still getting into something, sometimes Cats will continue to eat something even though it makes them sick.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat vomits every morning before eating her morning meal.spit and fur. Being without food for 9 hours could be why so I am going to try using my food timer late at night. Also a high protein diet so I have ordered some tiki after dark. I have had a few people suggest it might be bilious vommiting syndrome. If my experiments dont work she will see a vet

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Maria Bayote

Top Cat
Purraise
Have you changed food brands of flavors recently?
My cats only eat the same wet and dry food. They are picky eaters.

That's too often to be normal in my opinion, but if she ate after vomiting, she probably would vomit again even if the issue is only upset stomach.
She vomits after eating, so all her intake goes out again. :(

Vomiting is always a cause for concern
I am really concerned and worried. My appointment with the vet is this afternoon. When i woke up this morning I saw vomit again on one of the rugs. :(

My cat vomits every morning before eating her morning meal.spit and fur. Being without food for 9 hours could be why so I am going to try using my food timer late at night.
My cats have a supply of food when I leave the house, and at night before I sleep. They are fed 3 times a day wet food, and kibbles are there each time in case wet food is consumed before I wake up / arrive from work. Later we will be going to the vet and see. i hope when I get home later there will be no more vomit. Nevertheless, her appointment is this afternoon. I am really worried. Before I left for work this morning I brought her to the rooftop so she could smell fresh air, carried her in my arms all throughout, and kept kissing her. If only our love can heal our pets. If only...