When Is It Time To Let Go?

Moppusan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our one cat -- Kira, who I've posted about months ago -- was diagnosed with hepatic lipidosis in January. Was not treated aggressively (her vet didn't even mention that's a possibility -- but I'd rather not talk about her "doctor"). On the 30th of July she couldn't keep anything down and was straining to have a bowel movement. One $167 24/7 emergency vet trip later, she eventually had normal bowel movements.

Now, to the part that breaks my heart. First, she'll be 13 on September 21st (if she makes it that long). She hasn't been grooming herself for months. She may be constipated again (trying miralax as before). She isn't eating except for cat milk and licking the gravy of canned food (which admittedly could be from being constipated). She is almost skin and bones. I think she's suffering, my girlfriend differs in opinion. I hate seeing her so uncomfortable (sometimes it takes her a while to lay down if she has her tummy facing the ground, so she mostly lays on her side).

I have cried really hard so many times since her initial diagnosis of hepatic lipidosis. I fear I may have some serious crying ahead of me. Is it time to...let go? I don't even want to type the thing I'm thinking but I'm sure everyone can figure out what it is. Just seeing those words...and now that I thought about it I'm tearing up again.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
Don't be afraid to "type the thing" here. Nobody will judge your decision.

Is Kila also your girlfriend's cat? What is her opinion?

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She isn't eating except for cat milk and licking the gravy of canned food
Moppusan Moppusan - You need to find a veterinarian (immediately) who comprehends that hepatic lipidosis can usually be reversed by intensive feeding unless the liver has been severely compromised. It's probably time for a temporary feeding tube.

Here's a very brief article in layman's language, which might give you a bit of hope:

Feline hepatic lipidosis - Wikipedia

Prayers for Kira.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Moppusan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The "thing" I was referring to was "putting her down." And quick btw, it's Kira not Kila.

I got Kira when I was married to my now ex-wife, but my girlfriend (who lives with me) adopted her and has been a better mommy to her than my ex-wife ever has.

The intensive feeding for the hepatic lipidosis is not in our budget. We are below the federal poverty guidelines for a two person household. I've researched as much as I could about feline hepatic lipidosis, so I know pretty much all about it. Even if we could afford it, 6 months after the fact doesn't seem too hopeful in my opinion.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I'm extremely sorry Kira is experiencing a form of liver disease. Can you contact a different vet for a second opinion? It would be beneficial to entice her to eat whether by offering her baby food or syringe feeding. Here is a helpful Article that discusses liver disease in cats:
Elevated Liver Enzymes In Cats - Should You Be Worried?
And another Article with suggestions to help your cat start eating again:
How To Get Your Cat To Start Eating Again

Sending special thoughts and prayers for Kira. :vibes::vibes:Please keep us posted on her condition.

ETA: I just saw your post about financial difficulty and thought this Article about assistance with veterinary care costs might be helpful: No Money For Vet Care? How To Find Help And Save Your Cat's Life

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
The intensive feeding for the hepatic lipidosis is not in our budget. We are below the federal poverty guidelines for a two person household. I've researched as much as I could about feline hepatic lipidosis, so I know pretty much all about it. Even if we could afford it, 6 months after the fact doesn't seem too hopeful in my opinion.
I totally understand. If Kira will let you hold her long enough syringe feeding is an option to buy your girfriend and yourself time to grasp the reality. Is it working to feed her inf a syringe? If yes, lakuna mtata.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, it is very hard but you will make it. My cat was just a few weeks away from being 17 yrs old. Skin and bones.she was not eating enough. Her breathing started to sound raspy and looked uncomfortable. I had never seen her get constipated til her last day. Crying in pain. My vet was in surgery and couldn't get an appointment to euthanize her til 4 pm so I had them sedate her. She was too fragile to have any more blood work done. I am sure she knew that it was time

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Moppusan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I thank you for everyone's support, but Kira had to be put to rest today. My girlfriend found her laying by the bathroom door this morning and she was unable to walk. The emergency vet said it was time to let go. She lived longer than most cats with hepatic lipidosis.

I love you guys, and like I said I appreciate all the advice and support. I guess it was Kira's time to go.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
I thank you for everyone's support, but Kira had to be put to rest today. My girlfriend found her laying by the bathroom door this morning and she was unable to walk. The emergency vet said it was time to let go. She lived longer than most cats with hepatic lipidosis.

I love you guys, and like I said I appreciate all the advice and support. I guess it was Kira's time to go.
You are very welcome. We are all here to support you and understand how painful losing a pet is. That is why we have a Crossing the Bridge section on this forum.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
I just read this thread, and it sounds like you did everything for Kira, and it was time. What a lucky little cat to have lived with you. My deepest sympathies.
I agree. It looks to me like Kira was telling her mommy she was ready to go. Cats often do "know" wehn it is time.