When is hot too hot?

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat loves the sun porch. It could be 85 degrees out there and she won't come in to the ac unless I carry her. In the early morning she lounges in a gentle sunny spot. The rest of the day she just likes to lay under a table or lay hidden in a corner.
I have an oscillating fan out there,plenty of fresh cool water and her food dish on ice to keep it from going bad. She is not panting,nor lethargic but is 85 to 90 far to hot for a senior even if there are no visible effects?

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If she is able to get up and walk to a place that is cooler and still has her necessities, I wouldn’t worry. You can watch for an increase in respirations to see if she is too hot.

My cats will lay in front of the fake fireplace heater even when the house is warm.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Our former vet used to say if it's too hot or cold for you then it's the same for your pet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our former vet used to say if it's too hot or cold for you then it's the same for your pet.
I am hot at 62 degrees. My brother just starts to get hot around 90. He loves the heat, while heat makes me feel faint and nauseous!
I have met people who come alive again in October like me. Your vet would be scratching their head!

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine would choose to go into the dirt basement from the house itself, not from the outside, when it got to be 85 or above in the house. This did turn out to be too hot for one and he passed out, but recovered. I think he may have had a temper fit that raised his body temperature right before that happened.

Having the fan would mean that the 85 would be more comfortable. The cat I mentioned like to sleep behind the free standing floor fan. You should check your fan regularly to see if you need to clean the fur out of it, just to be safe.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm in Texas and it's been over 100ºF outside for several days. The community cat I care for has plenty of shade, fresh water, and cool spots to lay in. He is doing fine. My indoor kitties love the sun from the windows and will move to a cooler spot if they get too warm.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats are desended from dessert animals, Sand cat to be precise. Thats also why they have such a low thirst drive.
Sand cat is the domestic cats colsest relitive so it makes sense they can stand the heat and have kidneys adapted to absorb water from prey/food.