When did you learn to cook?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I started baking things like brownies, cookies, and lemon squares around 7/8. Christmas cookies were always a "thing" in our home, and I always got to help. But I still remember "learning" the lesson to use a knife to level a cup of flour, you don't blow on it!

I don't really enjoy cooking, though brownies from scratch are so good and so easy, I do make them a lot still. I went vegetarian in high school so made all my own meals - but didn't keep that up after college. Gary was always the chef in our relationship, and he's amazing. Sadly, he doesn't make many of our meals anymore. We eat a lot of stew, or rice- and noodle-based dishes, sandwiches and salads.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My mum always made everything from scratch so we've always helped in the kitchen from a very young age and just continued on from there.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
About 3 or 4 years ago I started cooking on a regular basis.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I learned how to cook when I moved out of my mom's house about 6 years ago. She was always really weird about letting me use her kitchen back at home so she never really taught me. Once I got out on my own, I started reading a lot of cook books and watching cooking shows. Between all of that and the internet, I've learned to cook a lot now and I really, really enjoy cooking! I've also been given some really yummy recipes from my sisters that I enjoy making.

I think one of my favorite things about cooking is how theraputic and fun it can be. I especially love cooking when my nices/nephews visit! I love having them in the kitchen and teaching them how to have fun creating new recipes!

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Really young..I remember when we lived in Kansas my mom slept in and me and my sister wanted scramble eggs and I was allowed to make them in the microwave but vetoed that idea and made them on the stove...and got grounded for it...That happened somewhere around 2nd or 3rd grade. I cook almost everynight but basically its the same stuff over and over again because there are only certain things I like and BF is uber picky...One thing I still to this day cant make is grilled cheese, I always burn atleast one side of them so BF always makes grilled cheese when we want it.

I make a mean homemade chicken noodle or chicken corn soup....speaking of which..I really need to get the stuff to make it we bought some from a fundraiser but it was horrible, it tasted like watered down chicken and didnt have any salt but ten tons of pepper in it...YUCKIE!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Everything I know about cooking and baking, I learned from my dear MIL, who is the best cook on earth. There is nothing that woman cannot do. And when I married her son, I think she thought he was going to starve to death unless she took me under her wing. So we made breads, we made cakes, we made cookies, we made pies. We roasted chickens, we did everything. She taught me so much and I will forever be in her debt.

My mom served meat and potatoes because that's what my dad wanted. If mom didn't feel like cooking, she made rice and we had it with milk and cinnamon for our dinner. She wouldn't let us in the kitchen because we would makes messes (but that's how you learn!) and she didn't want to deal with it. My grandmother could bake anything and she tried in vain to teach me, but I didn't want to be bothered. I wasn't going to get married and no way was I going to cook anything.

And when I took Home Ec in school? I got a D in cooking, my only grade below a B my entire life. Didn't matter; I wasn't going to cook. Not me. Ugh.

Well, I love cooking. I love the idea of coming home and dicing vegetables (anybody see that commercial on tv about that? For me, I really do.). I love creating meals. I love to feed people. I take satisfaction in cooking something that people love to eat.

That being said, I cannot make hamburgers to save my life. Or meatloaf. Or meatballs. I cannot get them to stay together. DH does a wonderful job, so whenever we have something like that, he becomes prep person in our kitchen. He doesn't mind.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I took over cooking dinner for my family every night at age twelve, so I learned to cook long before that just by having to help out in the kitchen. I used to bake cake, cookies and bread while I was still in elementary school.

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have always hated to cook. I cook just so I won't starve and never invite people over for dinner or something like that. I always feel like such a slave feeding other people, that's just the way I feel.

When I was married I did cook every night except Fridays, that was our night out. I learned some different meals from my MIL who was German and was a terrific cook. She taught me how to make the delish German gravies and I taught her how to make Italian sauce.

Now that I mostly just cook for myself, I don't kill myself in the kitchen. Now I have all the time in the world to cook since I am retired but I'm not going to waste time cooking, no way. I just don't enjoy it. I find other uses with my spare time