When Can I Let My Labrador Retreiver Play With The Kitten?

nevrenufcritters

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Since I brought my new kitten home at 4 weeks old, I have been letting my lab, Sadie and her get introduced. Sadie is 4 yrs old. I have two other small dogs in the house that she is fine with. She wants desperately to play with them but they wont have it, they think she is a tiny terror. My lab comes inside at night and I have been keeping the lab from going full on play with the cat to avoid injuries. The kitten actually doesn't seem scared at all. she plays hide and pounce behind the couch. But when she zooms across the floor to some other spot, Sadie gets so excited and wants to chase. I have been putting the kitten in a wire crate in the middle of my den every night when Sadie is allowed in, and they just sleep next to each other, or kitten sleeps and Sadie chews on a bone right next to her. I tried leashing Sadie and letting the kitten loose, but Sadie would not settle down, just kept lunging wanting to chase the kitten. I don't think Sadie would hurt her intentionally (we have other older cats that she is friends with) I just want to be careful. Does anyone have an idea at what age the kitten would be safe to let loose to play with her? (she's 8 weeks now)

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, and welcome to TCS :hithere::welcomesign:

I have a cat-loving Labrador too. You'll need to be VERY careful about Sadie's interactions with the kitten for a good while yet. She won't mean any harm, but could still cause injuries (or worse) with such a baby. I would keep her on leash or crated (I crate train all my dogs, as its useful in so many situations) until all signs of her getting over excited and wanting to charge are gone. Remember that dog play is very different from cat play, and the two species can often misread each other as body language gets lost in translation.

Take time at this stage, too, to reinforce Sadie's training and obedience - especially 'no/leave (it)', 'come' and 'sit/down'. It never hurts to reinforce basics like this, and you may need them if Sadie gets a little too boisterous or over excited in their (supervised) interactions. As much as is possible, give Sadie a walk or playtime (something fun to get the energy out of her) before kitten meetings, at least until Sadie and the kitten start to calm down around each other. Giving the kitten plenty of interactive playtime (away from Sadie, or with her crated) will help a lot too. Time spent at this stage is never wasted, and it's always better to err on the side of caution ;)
How To Safely Introduce A Cat And A Dog
Caring For Cats And Dogs
How To Keep The Dog Out Of The Cat’s Food And Vice Versa
How To Make Your Home Bigger (at Least For Your Cats)
Playing With Your Cat: 10 Things You Need To Know
Bored Cat? What Cat Owners Need To Know (including 10 Actionable Tips)
Choosing The Right Cat Toy For Your Kitten
Kitten Proofing Your Home: 13 Practical Tips

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
On a different subject, your kitten (what is her name?) is VERY young to have been taken from Mama. You should probably suppliment her diet (if you aren't already) with KMR (kitten milk replacement) for another 4-6 weeks, and at her age, bottle-feeding would even be appropriate. She's still at the age where sucking will be a huge comfort to her.

As for Sadie, I can't add a thing to what Columbine Columbine already said! That's a good-sized dog and a very tiny kitten. Sadie could do real damage, even if just playing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nevrenufcritters

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
mamanyt, To clarify, I found the kitten in a parking lot near a busy road, abandoned, with her eyes completely crusted over with conjuncitivitis. I brought home a black kitten, but there was a white one underneath. Since she was so little (not weaned fully), I did supplement her kitten food with formula for several weeks as per my vets instructions. And the kitten (Zima) is now 9 weeks old. I have started putting the dog (Sadie) in her crate while Zima zooms around the house. Sadie has remained completely calm, but I am not going to let them loose together until Zima is at least another month older for her safety. And even then, maybe not. Might not be till Zima is much much older.Sadie caught a squirrel last weekend and killed it. (accidental??). Regardless I don't want her prey drive kicking in with the kitten. I was just seeking advice from others

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Another welcome to TCS! :wave3: I agree with Columbine Columbine and Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 to be cautious about the size and age difference between your kitten and lab, as well as taking the appropriate steps to introduce them in the future, but not yet.

Even though you might think your lab, Sadie, could cause accidental harm, the kitten could cause accidental injury too by scratching Sadie's eyes or biting. A cat bite has the possibility of causing an infection. However, a dog bite can kill a cat if Sadie gets hurt and snaps at the kitten out of reflex. Please take every precaution necessary. Best of luck with your new kitten. :bluepaw: