When a kitten has to be adopted as the only cat

ChiarinaL

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello feline-loving community! I need some sound advice. I just came back from meeting a 5-month old kitten I am considering adopting from a local rescue. He has a few health conditions (chronic cat cold, ocular infections, juvenile gingivitis, and soft stool) and a requirement to be adopted out as the only cat. The main health issue that causes this requirement is a chronic "cat cold" viral condition affecting his respiratory and ocular system. The respiratory can be life threatening if it ever gets worse, so he can't be exposed to other cats for his health's sake and vice versa - he can be contagious to them. At least that's what I've been told.

I am very torn. At 5 months, he is too young to be adopted alone. Yet, he has been living there alone for 6 weeks already. There's a lot of people passing through that rescue, looking at cats, so he's very "enriched" in terms of human exposure I suppose. But this is not real play or real interaction one-on-one. He gets some dedicated play time with volunteers but only 10-15 min/day. That's it! The critical period for enrichment and learning from other cats is almost gone - I believe it is the first 4-6 months of life, which he is spending alone because he is contagious to other cats! He's full of energy, I can see that he needs a lot of exercise and enrichment. And yet, he is gentle, no biting or scratching, which is nice. Not sure where he learned that.

I am a working adult and like to go to the office few times a week (though I can work from home 4 days a week if I want). And I know there are people out there who work full time and still adopt kittens and everything is fine. I'm just worried. Just because I can give him more than he's getting right now, it will still not be enough, not even close to what it should be. I, or any other human really, can't provide what another cat/kitten would provide in terms of socialization. However, perhaps a family with small kids would be better suited for his socialization and development given that he has to be the only cat? I am a one person household, with occasional visitors (no kids though). So, I don't know what the right thing to do is. Towards the end of my visit, he got very cuddly and sleepy, it was very hard to leave him.

I'm trying to make a logical (not emotional) decision. I think that a family with young children may be the best environment for him to grow up in. Except, I have no control over who adopts him if I don't. What are your thoughts on this situation?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi there! I won't speak to this kitten's 'viral' condition, although finding out what virus is involved can help you to treat him accordingly with supplements to strengthen his immune system over his lifetime.

But I can say that two of my cats were 6 months old when they found me. I worked a full-time job, so it wasn't like they were given an extraordinary amount of attention for many hours a day, and they did just fine. I think solo kitties/cats probably 'chill' faster than those who are with other cats/kittens, but I don't think either of my cats suffered from not having another animal companion. They both were very happy to have me as their companion and I loved every minute of it!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ChiarinaL

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much @ FeebysOwner FeebysOwner . The only thing I know about this viral cold is that it is due to either feline herpesvirus or feline calicivirus. In your case - your fur babies had each other when you were at work, right? It helps I think if they have a playmate to play with and to learn "cat" behavior from. My little guy would be alone, for a few hours/day. I think if I do go ahead with the adoption, I'd make a point of not going for full days in the office but keep it to 4-5 hrs max until he is 1 year old, so that he's not left alone for so long. He is such a sweet kitten, but I am so sad that he's being raised deprived of cat contact. I was the only child for 20 years, surrounded by over-protecitve grown ups, I really don't think I grew up normally. I would not want to do the same to a cat, but this one is out of my control.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
In your case - your fur babies had each other when you were at work, right?
No. These two cats that I spoke of were raised alone, in other words, not at the same time. I have always had solo cats and have never found it to be an issue with keeping them happy and content. But everyone is different in their perspective about this.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Many, many people adopt single kittens, with no other cats in the home. I happen to have been adopted by two 4 1/2 month old kittens when they ended up on my front porch a little over 14 years ago, and to this day they do not really get along. At that time, we already had two resident cats, and to be perfectly honest, NONE of them ever got along. Cats are actually solitary creatures. Mine prefer their humans much more than they like other cats.

I would never hesitate to adopt a singleton, BUT, there are vaccine against both Feline Herpes AND Feline Calcivirus, if you ever decided you wanted to "buck the rules". It might not prevent another cat from catching it but would probably lessen the effects of it if it happened..

As far as the virus goes, have you seen these articles?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Many people here have only one cat and many of those cats were rescued or adopted as a very young kittens. While cats certainly will bond with other cats and play with them, cats by nature are solitary animals. I have more than one cat right now, but a couple of those cats keep completely to themselves, and just enjoy hanging out in their own part of the house and having a good life. When I had only one cat and that cat was left alone in the house all day when I went to work, I never sensed that there was any negative impact on its life or happiness.