When a fighting spirit isn't enough - life is harsh and unfair - but you are not alone

OhYesIndeed

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The last time I wrote on this forum was almost exactly four years ago. My original post is here: I know I probably made the right decision... but I feel terrible and devastated

Quick recap: we had to put our eldest cat to sleep because her thyroid was shut, the cure which was an expensive radiology procedure was not available in my country and daily medication and monthly (or even bi-weekly) visits to the clinic were not an option: at heart she was still a feral cat. I felt very guilty about not being able to help her and so the next cat we took had kidney disease. I thought I'm going to try and make her life as comfortable as possible.

Thursday night we buried that cat next to our other pets in our summerhouse. This time I'm not writing this post not to seek solace but rather as a comforting message to other grieving people here. Sometimes you can give it everything, and it might seem that you've finally overcome all odds, and it will won't be enough.

To cut a long story short, the average life expectancy of a cat with a diagnosis of kidney disease is 2 years 2 months. I remember going to the vet with her for a check-up and after an ultrasound hearing the sentence "please prepare yourself, she will be gone very soon". That was in June... of 2020.

Meanwhile it turned out she had an untreated chronic bladder infection, which we managed to get rid of due to a correct diagnosis and treatment plan. That was almost two years ago.

She also had problems with intermittent seizures which came back with a vengeance after a very long break, in the autumn of this year. She also began to show signs of anemia. We went to the vet a total of five times in the last few months with these two issues.

But she overcame all those health problems. About a month ago we went for a check-up with her main doctor and got a clean bill of health (considering the circumstances):

- despite the kidney disease diagnosis the condition had been stable for 4+ years

- the seizures had been correctly diagnosed as idiopathic epilepsy with an accurate treatment plan that was working

- the previous chronic bladder infection had been defeated and had not returned

- the signs of onset of anemia were gone (and we had a treatment plan if they should return)

First time in four years I felt that we had defeated all the odds. First time in four years it was only good news. I thought this is it, she's going to be with us for years, perhaps she will even just die of old age.

Sigh.

A couple of days ago she acted in a way that made us suspect she began to have another seizure. We immediately upped the medication to the standard dose and since the side-effect is drowsiness and lethargy while the body adapts to the new dose, she spent most of the day sleeping in one place. The next day she managed to move around a bit, although seemed to have problems with coordination, but she was drinking and eating normally. By the evening she had no control of her lower body half anymore and we took her to the vet ER. It turned out it was a disc in the spine that most likely would've required expensive MRI scans and surgery plus a very long and painful recovery period where she essentially would have to be locked up in a cage and require therapy. Assuming it would've been treatable and assuming her kidneys would've survived all the procedures that required anesthesia which is a huge strain on them. Sadly we had lost a dachshund years and years ago to the same thing and then the surgeon honestly said: it's an expensive and complicated procedure with no guarantees of good long-term outcome. Considering her underlying chronic conditions and age and the fact that we would make her life a living hell with no guarantees that it would even help... we took the painful decision to let her go.

So there it is. When she joined our family she quickly stole all our hearts. I could never have imagined that a cat can be so friendly and loving towards us despite her health problems. Which we constantly battled, and successfully so I might add. But in the end none of it mattered. Something random, senseless, idiotic and absurdly unfair can occur and undo all your best efforts. If you have been in a similar position and still hurting, or if you will ever end up in a similar position, remember our story and take some comfort in it. You are not alone and other people (and cats) have gone through the same painful experience. My thoughts are with you.

Attachments

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
thank you so much for sharing your story. You were such a comfort to her and prolonged a life that didn't have much hope 4 years ago. Then you filled it with love and happiness, all she ever wanted......sadly, sometimes we do all we are capable of and it still isn't enough. You did so much, loved her so much, much more than most. I salute you, and I do her too, she had the heart of a lion!
The bond of love built up over those years is incredibly strong. That can never be taken from you. Not even death can take something that never dies. She will always be connected to your soul, and you to hers. She continues to live on through you now, so send her love that is filled with happiness and more love, not sadness and tears. she would never want that. She would also want you to know that everything you helped her through, DID matter. More than you will ever know. It helped her to hang on a little longer, to love and be loved just a little more.
Somehow you found the strength to not let her pain take over, you ended the struggle. It's not easy, but you could not let her suffer. In time, and it takes a lot of it, your pain will turn into gratitude for what she brought into your life. All the struggles will fall away, and you will remember her as the loving companion and beautiful soul that she was. I send my condolences for the loss to yoru family, and to the world. we need more beautiful souls to brighten our day! Bless you for loving her so much......RIP precious girl. you will NEVER be forgotten, you will always have secure places in loving hearts. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

OhYesIndeed

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your kind words.

She would also want you to know that everything you helped her through, DID matter. More than you will ever know. It helped her to hang on a little longer, to love and be loved just a little more.
On the one hand I'm incredibly grateful for the four years together, because it is much more than we initially hoped for. And on the other hand I'm incredibly bitter because it really felt like she could be with us until she grows gray.

All the struggles will fall away, and you will remember her as the loving companion and beautiful soul that she was.
That's true. I don't remember the pain of loss when I think about my old cat, there are only happy memories and perhaps a bit of melancholy. But you are right, it will take time.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First time in four years I felt that we had defeated all the odds. First time in four years it was only good news. I thought this is it, she's going to be with us for years, perhaps she will even just die of old age.
This passage reminds me of when I had to go through hell and back with my sweet Lola. She had a few issues, some of them rather severe. Then, a heavy and costly surgery had the greatest of the issues fixed and, after that, I felt like I had fought against the strongest monster in the world and had won. I said that from that moment on, life would have been easier for all of us, everything was going to go downhill, and Lola would have stayed with me for many more years!
For the first time in years I was seeing the light.

How wrong I was, Lola left me seven months later. Seven months of pain and stress for me and her. I'm still crying, 6 years and 8 months later.

You fought along with your cat, by her side, day after day, sometimes you won and sometimes you lost, and eventually you had to surrender to spare her further pain.
This doesn't make you a loser, this makes you a warrior who showed his courage and love and who wisely knew when it was time to show her the biggest love and strength you had in your heart, the love and strength to let her go.

You and me and others are not alone, and knowing this will help us all face further hardships with bravery.
Stay strong!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Sweet Friend, dream you deep. You walk in someone's heart forever.

I am so sorry for your loss. But I must take you to task for your comment,
But in the end none of it mattered
In fact, every bit of it mattered. You gave her four years of comfort and relative health, which is about a quarter of the average lifespan of a house cat! Think how overjoyed and grateful you would be if you were dying at age 56, and someone gave you the gift of 19 more years! Along with all of the love and care you gave your girl. Yes, yes, indeed, everything mattered! Because it is not enough does not mean that it does not matter. Sometimes there can be no "enough." But it all matters.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

OhYesIndeed

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
In fact, every bit of it mattered. You gave her four years of comfort and relative health, which is about a quarter of the average lifespan of a house cat! Think how overjoyed and grateful you would be if you were dying at age 56, and someone gave you the gift of 19 more years! Along with all of the love and care you gave your girl. Yes, yes, indeed, everything mattered! Because it is not enough does not mean that it does not matter. Sometimes there can be no "enough." But it all matters.
Yes, you are right. But it's just very hard for us to look at it like this at the moment. Right now it feels like we've been robbed of years together with him, but I hope in time when the pain slowly subsides we will begin to see the four years as a gift instead.