Wheezing/peeing outside litter

veganeh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there,

2.5 weeks ago we has reason to believe our 8 year old cat ate floss. I found a piece on the floor and he was hiding/wheezing. We were terrified but within a couple hours he was acting normal and we felt confident that if he did eat some, he threw it up. He’s been perfectly normal for 2.5 weeks.
Tonight he is wheezing again and peed on the floor. He’s never done this. He is heaving like he needs to vomit but it sounds like a dryer heave than when he normally coughs up a hairball. I’m contemplating emergency vet, my husband is saying to wait it out. Has anyone ever experienced these symptoms? Could it just be a bad hairball (he grooms our you ger cat who sheds a ton in addition to himself).

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi there,

2.5 weeks ago we has reason to believe our 8 year old cat ate floss. I found a piece on the floor and he was hiding/wheezing. We were terrified but within a couple hours he was acting normal and we felt confident that if he did eat some, he threw it up. He’s been perfectly normal for 2.5 weeks.
Tonight he is wheezing again and peed on the floor. He’s never done this. He is heaving like he needs to vomit but it sounds like a dryer heave than when he normally coughs up a hairball. I’m contemplating emergency vet, my husband is saying to wait it out. Has anyone ever experienced these symptoms? Could it just be a bad hairball (he grooms our you ger cat who sheds a ton in addition to himself).
Is there any way you could capture a video with sound on your phone and call the emergency vet, and offer to send them the video so they could see what he's doing? The wheezing and hiding sounds like asthma, but it's always possible that the floss is causing problems. Is he eating and pooping?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

veganeh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
veganeh veganeh I hope things are okay. ❤
Thank you, oddly enough the wheezing stopped after an hour or two, but he has continued to pee outside of the box almost daily. He is eating just fine and pooping in the box. We’re going to call the vet tomorrow to address the issue with his pee…

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you, oddly enough the wheezing stopped after an hour or two, but he has continued to pee outside of the box almost daily. He is eating just fine and pooping in the box. We’re going to call the vet tomorrow to address the issue with his pee…
Be sure to tell them what type of litter you use, whether or not it's scented, and whether or not the box is covered. I hope everything checks out OK with him!