What's the youngest age a cat can get pregnant?

Cricketsmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We had a feral cat caught last night, estimated age 6-10? months, it is a small cat with some kitten traits in the face, and we think it is a female. I couldn't see any obvious male organs and from the research I have been doing her genitals looked female too.
She does look slightly large for a feral, but only slightly. We're going to get her spayed pregnant or not, but we prefer to take them in when they are used to people just to make it a bit less scary for the cat. But my worry is if she is pregnant we may be too late to spay her and we don't want a unnecessary litter. I can get her in a cage carrier and get her spayed quick if it is necessary.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree. Re the trust; YOU will be the one letting her out from the transporter from the vet, and giving her care in her need... She will anyway remember you as her helper.

The only is, its good if the vet is accustomed to handle ferales. Or at least, is forewarned the cat isnt no typical household cat, so he takes it with thick gloves, and or gives it a sleeping injection while in transporter...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cricketsmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There have been reports of cats getting pregnant as young as 14 weeks (3 1/2 months). But 5-7 months is more common. I would say it's probably best to have her spayed right away and then work on building trust afterward.
That's helpful, thankyou. I will be getting her spayed very shortly.
I agree. Re the trust; YOU will be the one letting her out from the transporter from the vet, and giving her care in her need... She will anyway remember you as her helper.

The only is, its good if the vet is accustomed to handle ferales. Or at least, is forewarned the cat isnt no typical household cat, so he takes it with thick gloves, and or gives it a sleeping injection while in transporter...
Yes, will be getting her spayed very shortly.
Not sure if the vet is very experienced in handling ferals, we have already taken in one that was semi-feral (not wildly feral, just cant touch or pick up) and she said she would transfer him over to another cage, which worked that time, but the escape chance is a bit large for me to want to do that with a wildly feral cat.
They did say though that they could just anaesthetize them by gas if we had taken him in a cage type carrier rather than a more enclosed one (we didn't know at the time), so we will probably just do that.