What’s the deal with Hills I/d chicken stew

Georgina887

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

wondering if anyone has experience with this food?? A vet prescribed it to my cat about 6 weeks ago after she had diarrhoea and looking at the ingredients I can’t see anything wrong with it. The reviews seem very good and it’s supposed to support healthy digestion and stools. However I’m experiencing the opposite. Both my cats after eating it get sloppy poops. I had to move off it to a different brand and things went back to normal. There is no allergy to the protein for either of my cats.

Here is the ingredients...
Water, Chicken, Pork Liver, Carrots, Wheat Gluten, Rice Starch, Rice, Powdered Cellulose, Chicken Fat, Chicken Liver Flavor, Potassium Alginate, Calcium Chloride, Monosodium Phosphate, Soybean Oil, Dicalcium Phosphate, Guar Gum, L-Lysine, Calcium Lactate, Calcium Gluconate, Fructooligosaccharides, Psyllium Seed Husk, Taurine, Potassium Chloride, vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), Thiamine Mononitrate, Niacin Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Biotin, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid), Choline Chloride, Sodium Tripolyphosphate, Magnesium Oxide, minerals (Zinc Oxide, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate), Beta-Carotene.

Anyone know the problem with this food? It does the opposite of what is says it does!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Could be an intolerance to the wheat gluten, rice starch, rice, cellulose (aka powdered wood pulp) or something. If the food is making the issue worse, you don't need to keep feeding it regardless of what the vet says. It's ok to disagree with the vet about food :)

Diarrhea can be caused by any number of things. Did the vet do any blood work or testing? Worms, a sudden new food or treat, stress, underlying health issues, and other things can cause diarrhea. Some vets just do a quick band aid fix with food or medicine without bothering to get to the cause of the issue.