What will you plant in your veggie gardens this year?

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I started last week 7 varieties of tomatoes and 5 of peppers. Also purple and green basil.
I overwinter many herbs so I have (no pun!) parsley, sage rosemary & thyme! Society garlic and unicorn chives as well though those are decorative.
I will be starting 3 types of zucchini (mainly for work), swiss chard, broccoli in the next couple of weeks.
Direct sown in the garden will be cucumbers, green beans, corn (yellow * bi-color), peas, various lettuce, radish, carrots. Will be starting some unusual gourds and pumpkins this year.
Potatoes are a must-youkin types, fingerlings, reds & russets. Broom corn for decorating in the fall.
I planted strawberries last year and always have asparagus & raspberries.

Just need the snow to melt and drain so I can spread some composted horse manure and till it in!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

Yeah, sure is funny. My neighbour (our balconies are separated by a wall) was surprised and said the birds flew right across his face to get to my feeder. I'll bet they'll be putting one out this year.
I've been out on the deck and porch when they've came by feeder hunting. They have this rather loud squeak/squawk. I've felt rather chastised that I didn't have a feeder up after being buzzed a few times.
The in-laws always have a feeder or two out on their deck, too, and the boldness of the hummingbirds always surprises me. If the feeders are empty and they see you anywhere near the deck they'll come buzzed around and squawk at you.

We've tried bell peppers here, and my in-laws grew some last year. No variety has ever grown large. I don't really know why.
Though the ones the in-laws grew did put off a lot of peppers with good flavor.

I went with early girls last year. They didn't put off any earlier than any other variety, in fact they may have taken a little longer. But they did produce massive amounts and from only 3 plants (one plant died). Even with giving tomatoes away we had too many. The only problem is the second crop of them suffered from not having enough calcium in the soil.

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My daughter gave me a plot at her house to plant. I''d like to put in some of those white pumpkins and regular ones too.

Love eggplant and brussels sprouts....ornamental corn too. Oh I love everything!!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Originally Posted by Winchester

What do you think about those upside-down tomato thingies??
I grew my tomatoes in a Topsy Turvy last year, and they did great! Only tried one variety...yellow pear cherry tomatoes, simply because it was an experiment to see how any tomatoe would grow here in the desert. Problem was, the heat completely demolished the Topsy Turvy by the end of the summer.

This year I am growing my tomatoes in a Grow Box, which has a built-in water reservoir underneath. Am hoping it works even better than the Topsy Turvy. Already have tiny tomatoes on Celebrity 100 plant, and lots of buds on the Champion plant, but no fruit yet.

zohdee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I made my own topsy turvey planters. I just took a colorful bucket, cut a hole in the bottom, pushed to tomato root through the hole, cut a slit in a sponge and put that around the root and filled it with soil. Its fun for kids to do!

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately I can't grow veggies, but fortunately I have a back roof top while living in NYC
. I always have an herb garden with Basil, Rosemary, and Oregano, at the very least.......
as well as lots of flowers!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I grow garlic and it's sooooo easy! We plant in the fall and harvest in June/July.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We're planning on planting tomatoes (cherry, grape and beefeaters), zucchinni and yellow squash, green peppers, and more. We still haven't decided on the rest. We tried beans and watermelon last year and the vines took off great...until the groundhogs discovered them.
Anyone know a way to keep groundhogs out besides shooting them? Our garden is fenced in with a locking gate (to keep deer out) but those flipping groundhogs still get in. I got SO sick of find tomatoes still on the vine with one bite out of them! I've heard planting garlic or sprinkling baby powder on the plants helps. Anyone know if that's true? I've also heard marigolds deter them. Any advice?