What Will Happen If You Feed Feral Cats For A While And Then Stop?

billtabas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My one friend has being feeding 2-4 feral cats outside for a month. It's gotten to the point these two raccoons and a possum will come by to eat as well. I warned her not to do this, but she insists.

Now she has to move and is curious what will happen to them now that she can't feed them. She asked me, but I have no idea.

Thoughts?

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They will have to go back to hunting. Yet it is sad that she has fed them for so long and they have become dependent on her for food. Also along with feeding feral cats, the most humane thing to do is to get them spayed/neutered to stop reproduction. Feeding them makes them healthier so they can continue to reproduce.

If she cannot find someone to take over the feeding, she might want to start tapering down how much/often she feeds.

Also food should not be left outside overnight. It should be picked up at dark so the raccoons and possum do not get the food.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Honestly, I don't think a month is that long. No one knows for sure, but I would think they would be fine. Chances are the possoms and raccoons have been eating most of the food, anyways. Since she is moving, she should stop putting food out.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I agree that if your friend could get them spayed/neutered before moving, that would be great!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If they were living there before, that means they had another food source to survive that long. So they'll go back to that food source.

If they're recently dumped pets who never found another food source, they'd probably starve.

alphakitty

Beeqie - Sly Kitty - 2017
Young Cat
Purraise
My one friend has being feeding 2-4 feral cats outside for a month.

It's gotten to the point these two raccoons and a possum will come by to eat as well. I warned her not to do this, but she insists.

Now she has to move and is curious what will happen to them now that she can't feed them. She asked me, but I have no idea.

Thoughts?
Thats a bummer about having to move. Only a month or so? Folks shouldn't start things that that they can't reasonably intend to do so for the long haul. The only way I'd be able to move is if there were nuclear attack or a huge earthquake that knocked my house down. She needs to search around to find someone who'll take over her good intentions however mislaid it may have been.

As for the possum and racoon problem. I too had that problem but I taught'm to dine elsewhere.

If she can't find someone who'll take over the feeding process, I'd do as others have suggested, gradually wind down the amount until the little guys are once again accustomed to hunting lizards, birds, mice, bugs for din din.

AlphaKitty

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Alphakitty, so true! I am tethered to an apartment that I hate because I won't leave my little feral!

OP, clearly you care about these cats or you would not have posted here. All you can do is make suggestions to your friend, there is only so much you can do. I am sure your friend had the best intentions, but it is sad no one else will be able to take over.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
B billtabas Are you able to step in and take over feeding once your friend has gone? Two cats (even 4) isn't much food - - and if you use dry food - it can be quite inexpensive. I believe in kind of a cross between shadowsrescue shadowsrescue & W Willowy - - if they're totally feral, they will most likely find another food source (and if you feed at the same time every day, then take the food up, that'll stop the wildlife from eating it) - - but if they're dumped pets, it may be difficult to impossible for them to find another food source.

If you don't want to take it on - - do you know anyone in the area who could take on the feeding, etc.? Because the big BIG issue is that - at the very least someone should spay/neuter them all to stop what will become a large colony very very quickly! If you can't find someone to take feeding over - - if you call a local spay/neuter clinic, they may have a list of colony caretakers in the area who could take care of them, or at least offer assistance.

Good luck! I do hope that someone can take it over - -and get them fixed! Keep us posted on what happens!

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think a lot depends on what their condition was when she started feeding them. Were they thin and obviously staving or looked god and just came for food? When she quits they will be either way returning to just as she found them. Surely she can find someone or group to continue. Help would be available to trap neuter and spay which would take enormous pressure off them, especially if they were female.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

billtabas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They will have to go back to hunting. Yet it is sad that she has fed them for so long and they have become dependent on her for food. Also along with feeding feral cats, the most humane thing to do is to get them spayed/neutered to stop reproduction. Feeding them makes them healthier so they can continue to reproduce.

If she cannot find someone to take over the feeding, she might want to start tapering down how much/often she feeds.

Also food should not be left outside overnight. It should be picked up at dark so the raccoons and possum do not get the food.
Is one month considered a long time? She said she only leaves it starting at 8pm, since the cats usually don't come until then.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The thing about starting to feed cats is that they may have been getting fed somewhere else, but they preferred your food. The person who was feeding them stops putting food out. So when you stop feeding them after a month, you could do more harm than good. I believe it would be best to find someone to take over if you can.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

billtabas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The thing about starting to feed cats is that they may have been getting fed somewhere else, but they preferred your food. The person who was feeding them stops putting food out. So when you stop feeding them after a month, you could do more harm than good. I believe it would be best to find someone to take over if you can.
Okay thanks. I know one of the cats that was being fed got "picked" up by a person. She said that the cat was definitely a stray since he was very friendly and adjusted to a domestic life pretty quick.