What wet food does your picky cat love?

BeccaCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know all cats are different, but I’m always trying to find a wet food my picky girl will love. Any suggestions of things that have worked for your kitty? Thanks!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How old is your cat? The older, the more likely that a huge selection being rotated might be the answer, IMO. Feeby (19+ yo) has gotten to the point that she will eat a very limited number of foods, but there has to be anywhere from 1-2 weeks in between when they can be served again. If served closer together she tends to reject them. Go figure. It will all depend on you testing different strategies. This is one.

Another thing I have found is that she really wants either beef or chicken, or a combo of them. She was eating turkey, venison, and duck, but they have fallen out of favor with her, although if they are added as a third meat ingredient, she might eat them. She never much cared for rabbit or lamb. It was easy to figure out that pate is the only form of wet food she likes, so that might be something else to look at - the textures your cat seems to prefer.

Try logging what you feed your cat, and how much she eats/how she reacts to it, and maybe you can find a pattern over time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BeccaCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How old is your cat? The older, the more likely that a huge selection being rotated might be the answer, IMO. Feeby (19+ yo) has gotten to the point that she will eat a very limited number of foods, but there has to be anywhere from 1-2 weeks in between when they can be served again. If served closer together she tends to reject them. Go figure. It will all depend on you testing different strategies. This is one.

Another thing I have found is that she really wants either beef or chicken, or a combo of them. She was eating turkey, venison, and duck, but they have fallen out of favor with her, although if they are added as a third meat ingredient, she might eat them. She never much cared for rabbit or lamb. It was easy to figure out that pate is the only form of wet food she likes, so that might be something else to look at - the textures your cat seems to prefer.

Try logging what you feed your cat, and how much she eats/how she reacts to it, and maybe you can find a pattern over time.
Thank you! That sounds like a great idea. She’s only 3-4 years old but she’s always been picky. And it seems like she’s CONSTANTLY changing her mind!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is she picky in that she just doesn't eat or is it that she'll eat some flavors, but not others. I ask because sometimes being picky can indicate something else going on.

BeccaCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is she picky in that she just doesn't eat or is it that she'll eat some flavors, but not others. I ask because sometimes being picky can indicate something else going on.
She’ll eat, but she some days eats with gusto and some times turns up her nose. She eats kibble, but wet food - one day she loves it and the next day she’s like “no thanks”. She does have health problems (like severe asthma) so she’s at the vet like every two months. But she’s always been picky. I just wish I could find that one food that would make her eat well every day.

gitabooks

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My Nocturne has IBD which means she gets food-aversions from nausea so finding foods she likes is hard. Sometimes she'll like a food and then get sick after eating it and her body says "it was the food, you should never eat it again". She is on Cerenia which helps.

Right now she likes Wellness Turkey Gravies, ProPlan Sensitive Skin & Stomach Duck, Beyond Canadian Duck and Sweet Potato, and Nacho Digestive Support (Turkey & Pheasant)
She also liked some of the Tiki Pates, Dave's Turkey, and Essence Gamebird

I found she really likes Turkey and Duck more than Chicken, Beef, or Rabbit. Duck especially has a strong scent, which some cats prefer when deciding if they want to eat a food.

BeccaCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My Nocturne has IBD which means she gets food-aversions from nausea so finding foods she likes is hard. Sometimes she'll like a food and then get sick after eating it and her body says "it was the food, you should never eat it again". She is on Cerenia which helps.

Right now she likes Wellness Turkey Gravies, ProPlan Sensitive Skin & Stomach Duck, Beyond Canadian Duck and Sweet Potato, and Nacho Digestive Support (Turkey & Pheasant)
She also liked some of the Tiki Pates, Dave's Turkey, and Essence Gamebird

I found she really likes Turkey and Duck more than Chicken, Beef, or Rabbit. Duck especially has a strong scent, which some cats prefer when deciding if they want to eat a food.
Thank you for the suggestions. I’ve never tried Duck. I’ll have to give that a try.

xlynnbbyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My 2 boys Scooter(5 years old) & Casper(1 years old) are not picky when it comes to wet food. They will eat any kind of wet food really. Their old food was Friskies but after Scooter got a UTI last month it’s been Purina Pro Plan urinary food. I do also give them Purina One urinary tract wet food just to keep it fresh. Now when it comes to dry they are starting to get picky. They no longer like the Purina Pro Plan urinary dry food so I am going to try them on the Purina One urinary dry food Friday.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Purina Pro Plan Urinary is the fav here. None of my current boys have urinary issues but that's what Magnus will always, always eat.

Wureva lamb recipe, Iams Perfect Portions, Purina kitten are also big his with picky Magnus. He did like Applepaws chicken too but it wasn't the complete one. He also gets the Purina EN prescription food.

The other two will eat other things.

julesb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a picky senior as well. She used to like Wellness Core Signature Selects shredded chicken and turkey and their Complete Health chicken and turkey Gravies. And then some days she would just walk away from it and only eat raw. Right now she is temporarily (hoping) on a low phosphorus diet (struvite crystals) and the doctor gave us Mirataz for appetite so she''ll eat anything I give her.