What to substitute ingredients with

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
To the experienced cooks out there, what can red wine in a recipie be substituted with? I want to make this recipie but don't drink wine: http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-spaghetti-with-turkey-bolognese-recipes-from-the-kitchn-219426 Can I use chicken broth instead? Or is the red wine for acidity so I need something similar?

Also, I'm not a fan of onions (even cooked ones) but do like shallots. How many shallots would I need to replace the medium sized onion? Sometimes the market has pretty big shallots, other times really small ones.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Do you have red wine vinegar? I wouldn't do a full half cup maybe 1/4 and then some chicken broth to make up the difference.

I would think 2-3 shallots.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm going to agree with Karen. Be careful how much vinegar you use or it's going to really change the flavor profile.  Diluting with either chicken or vegetable broth should do the trick.  

Since shallots taste somewhere between an onion and garlic, the suggestion of 2-3 sounds reasonable.  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Do you have red wine vinegar? I wouldn't do a full half cup maybe 1/4 and then some chicken broth to make up the difference.

I would think 2-3 shallots.
No but I have to go buy ingredients for the recipie tomorrow so I'll pick up some red wine vinegar and broth.

It's not going to taste the same as the original recipe, but will be delicious anyway.
This is the first time I'm making the recipie so I have no idea how it's supposed to taste
So whatever it tastes like after I make it with the subsitiations will be delicious