What to feed stray cat&kittens?

xbject

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There are two stray cats in my neighborhood that have kittens. One is under my neighbors porch and the other I had to follow into the woods to find. For a while now I have given the mother cat that lives in the woods some chicken franks, about 3 times a day. She takes it to her kittens. I just found out it's very bad for cats and I imagine it's horrible for the kittens obviously. I want to know, what's a food I can give the mom that she can easily carry to her kittens?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kitten chow would be best, and canned cat/kitten food. Usually if the kittens are big enough to eat solids, the mama cats bring them to the feeding site, so she probably isn't taking food to them, just bringing it with her to snack on later.

Plain cooked chicken is fine, if you do want to give her something she can carry, but it's not a balanced diet. Better than franks though. No bones! Just plain boneless chicken thighs (dark meat is more nutritious than white meat, and usually cheaper).

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you for wanting to help these cats/kittens. There is a saying "If you feed, they will breed". My feeding the stray/feral cats you are making them strong and healthy so they can continue breeding. The few you have now will quickly multiply and multiply if the cats are not spayed/neutered. It would be wise to call a rescue group for some help. Otherwise you will need to TNR (Trap Neuter Return) the kitties. This way once they are fixed, you can continue feeding them without the risk of them multiplying right before your very eyes.

bella.cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi!
It's nice that you are trying to help the kittens. It will be wise to TNR them though. 🙂
Some feed that is good for them is wet canned/pouched food, as this will have the nutrients that the mother and kittens need.