What to Do

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our daughter is having a major birthday at the end of May. She lives in Texas. She is not vaccinated which she explains as because of autoimmune issues.

Our son and his wife are having a birthday party for her. They live outside Boston. Many people from across the country are being invited. Of course that includes us.

Have not seen our children for years due to covid. If we drive it is over 5 hours. Last time we took Amtrak the train going home was a couple of hours late getting to the Massachusetts station, it rained so hard that there was water dripping inside the train car, the car and driver to take us home from New Jersey train station (an hour plus) had to drive over flooded roads in the dark - we got home about midnight. And I am leary about flying, again because of covid.

I am really reluctant to go. Feel betwixt and between. Of course we want to join the celebrations, be there for our daughter. Have been vaccinated and one booster but we also do not want to risk catching covid.

Are we being overly cautious? Opinions but please do not snark.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think we all have to be cautious for now, especially around unvaccinated. I wish I could visit my father and sister in PA, and we're all vaccinated, but I just don't want to fly right now. And my father is 92, my sister has autoimmune issues, I wouldn't want to take a chance and maybe give it to them if I did happen to have it and be asymptomatic.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would love a Zoom meeting but think it unlikely to happen. There was a Zoom meeting from Texas when one of our granddaughter's got married a year or so ago. And our daughter set up a family zoom once a month. Which was very well attended in the beginning but now people sometimes have other things going on or and there are some who never "attend".

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I would try to have a zoom meeting.. If only for you and your husband, or FaceTime, Skype or something. It would make you a part of the celebration, and still be safe.

I attended a wake and funeral recently. One of the family members, had a 'zoom' with the deceased twin broth; who was recuperating in a hospital in Florida.

I live just north of Boston. As of Yesterday, we are in the RED Zone as far as Covid is concerned. We should be wearing masks indoors.. for all... but; I just came from Mass, where there were very few mask wearers.
As of today, there is a mask mandate in my building.

Something to think about.