What to do with that cat

Raidzero

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, my first post here, I hope I am in the right subforum with this question.

About 4 years ago, in my old country (I live in Canada now), my mom adopted a stray male kitten. She was living in an appartment at that time, and for the first two years the cat stayed with her in the appartment. He got neutered, shots, chip, etc.

Then about a couple of years ago she moved to a village, in a bigger house, with a large backyard. The cat got used to the outdoors, and actually preferred to be out, he was only coming in to eat, and maybe spend a couple of hours with my mom.

Unfortunately she passed away last Fall, and I could not at that time bring the cat home with me. I knew nothing about cats. I left him in some neighbours care, hoping they will feed him from time to time.

In the meantime, my wife and I adopted a kitten and discovered how wonderful these small cuties are. I keep thinking about my mom's cat though.

I will probably go back to the old country some time this year, and I was thinking that if the cat is still alive, we could bring him with us. But I am not sure if he will be happy to be inside the house all the time, because for sure I will not let him roam free the neighbourhood.

So I decided to ask here, and I appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hello! Welcome!!
But I am not sure if he will be happy to be inside the house all the time,
Due to the fact that he was an indoor only cat for a while, he should be able to make the adjustment more easily than a cat who has only known the outdoors.

We can help with how to travel with a cat, and how to introduce two cats who are strangers if (hopefully when) you get to the point of being able to bring him home :).

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would say, if the neighbors are treating him kindly and taking good care of him, leave him there. Cats don't like change and if his life is good there, there's no reason to have him move overseas.

But if they aren't taking good care of him or act like he's a burden, then, yes, take him with you. He'll adjust to living indoors, although it might take a while.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
HI. I would leave him where he is if the neighbors are taking care of him and want to continue to do so. Otherwise, yes, take the chance and bring him home with you. You will have to go through the long distance traveling preparations and all the related issues that are difficult enough with a cat that is used to being confined. Then, you will to get him used to your home, and then your other cat, in that order. And, it could take a while.

Assuming you do bring him home with you, if you have the means/space, you could always consider buying/building a catio so that he could spend some of his time outside but in a confined area in order to keep him safe.

Last edited:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you find him alive and in need, please do bring him with you. I have helped many cat to readjust. We had someone here who was leaving their home country and had a feral she loved. Besides helping the feral to socialize, she went through the entire process of bringing him to live with her in Canada. It all had a very happy ending. The cat is in a new home and has a human Daddy now along with his human Mom. He is strictly an indoor cat now. There is a process to follow when doing all this but if that kitty is found needing help, it’s very good to know you plan to help it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Raidzero

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks everyone for replies. I will see how he's doing when I get there. I am concerned that after 2-3 years spent outside, he may not like it inside, and we may not be able to deal with constant meowing.
Catio, great idea, never thought of that, but unfortunately our backyard configuration and size does not allow me to build something like that.
Traveling is another problem. I will have to take him from the house, take him to a vet for up to date vaccines, bring him with us while driving around for a day, then we will stay at a hotel for a few days, where he will be on his own while we run around, then again hours more of car travel to the airport, plus 16 hours of plane travel and layovers.
But yes, first thing is seeing how he's doing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Raidzero

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks all!
Great news, I talked to the neighbours, the cat is fine. Now let's see when I can travel, this virus situation is not getting better...