What To Do With Papa Cat?

gsholup

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! We have two cats, one male (Apollo) and one female (Artemis). Artemis is nearing the end of her pregnancy. I have an appointment next week for Apollo to be neutered and I will have Artemis spayed as soon as recommended by the vet after the kittens are born, so no worries about that. Both cats are strictly indoor cats (we live in an apartment with no outdoor access for them) so I know Apollo is the father of all the kittens. My question is: if the kittens arrive before Apollo is neutered, what's the best thing to do with him? I do have the option of bringing him to my mom's house for awhile, but she has a cat and a dog and I'm not sure that's a fabulous option. Also, what about the birth itself? I'm guessing I should keep him out of the room, but I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this experience and how it all played out. Thanks in advance for your time & thoughts!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think he should not be in contact with momma cat at all ESPECIALLY once the kittens are born since he can not only get her pregnant again pretty quick, he could harm the kittens to get to her, and he can still GET her pregnant a few weeks AFTER he is neutered. SO personally I would do anything and everything you can to keep them separate.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If you ask if he is dangerous to the kittens: no esp if he is friends with momma. He may even coparent.

But the risk for impregnation is real, so if you can have him somewhere else is prob best.