What to do about other cats when one was euthanized due to feline leukemia?

2 dozen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am in the process of testing 12 cats after one became ill and tested positive with feline leukemia. Vet recommended euthanasia as after 2 rounds of antibiotics cat continued to hide under bed and not eat. The first 2 cats were negative and were vaccinated, the third tested positive yesterday and the vet presented the option of seeing if most of them test positive to let them be and continue to live and eat together and then I suppose to euthanized them as they get ill. None of the other cats appear ill but I don't know what to do. Two cats go out as one is a feral I let in during the snowy winter and one was an outdoor cat I adopted when the owner moved and he goes out to do his business and on occasion the others sneak out when door opened for these two. I have 2 going to vet today to be tested and 2 more on Friday. There is no way to separate them so what should I do? Thank you.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have one cat that tested positive for FeLV. He got so sick the vet gave him only 'days' to live but somehow he pulled through. Since my other two are mother and brother to him and they have always lived together, I did not even have them tested. The vet said to assume they were all positive since they have lived together for 6 years at the time.
The problem is that leukemia lowers their white blood cell count so much that they are susceptible to any little virus/disease and could die without an immune response. I started keeping them strictly indoors after the diagnosis 3 years ago to reduce the possibility of bacteria and viruses. If you can keep them alive by getting them to eat/drink a little, after 30 days they will start building up their white blood cells again if their bone marrow hasn't been affected. I keep Delectable Lickables around for tempting them to eat (He will take a few licks twice a day) and to give their meds in the morning in a shared packet of the treats. With 12, you are going to be faced with some tough decisions. Going outside means passing on germs.
I also found that leukemia is now thought you be passed on through deep bites or mating. Not so casually passed on as thought before. I also give my cats DMG, which builds up the immune system, and LifeGold a cancer-fighting supplement. You might try to give that at least with the cats who test positive.
Since your cats are older, they may be able to fight off the disease. Cats under one-year-old have the highest mortality rate.
I am so sorry for you. This is a horrible disease that has no cure really, you just have to support them and give them love and care. Some cats can fight it off, and some can't. My heart breaks for you, I'll keep you all in my thoughts and prayers. RIP little one, you will never be forgotten, may the good Lord bless and keep you until you meet again......

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We lost one to leukemia, none of the other six developed it and they lived another 10+ years to their late teens.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

2 dozen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I am having them all tested, so far 5 are negative and were vaccinated, 2 are positive. 5 more to go, then 6 outdoor ferals I shall try to trap and have tested and vax if neg. Decided to keep things as they are, all living and eating together as they most likely would not still be alive if I never trapped and adopted them.
I appreciate both of you taking the time to respond, and with good news too.
I have supplements already for Magoo who is FIV positive, DMG being one so I'll just give them all the supplements.

Last edited:

2 dozen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have one cat that tested positive for FeLV. He got so sick the vet gave him only 'days' to live but somehow he pulled through. Since my other two are mother and brother to him and they have always lived together, I did not even have them tested. The vet said to assume they were all positive since they have lived together for 6 years at the time.
The problem is that leukemia lowers their white blood cell count so much that they are susceptible to any little virus/disease and could die without an immune response. I started keeping them strictly indoors after the diagnosis 3 years ago to reduce the possibility of bacteria and viruses. If you can keep them alive by getting them to eat/drink a little, after 30 days they will start building up their white blood cells again if their bone marrow hasn't been affected. I keep Delectable Lickables around for tempting them to eat (He will take a few licks twice a day) and to give their meds in the morning in a shared packet of the treats. With 12, you are going to be faced with some tough decisions. Going outside means passing on germs.
I also found that leukemia is now thought you be passed on through deep bites or mating. Not so casually passed on as thought before. I also give my cats DMG, which builds up the immune system, and LifeGold a cancer-fighting supplement. You might try to give that at least with the cats who test positive.
Since your cats are older, they may be able to fight off the disease. Cats under one-year-old have the highest mortality rate.
I am so sorry for you. This is a horrible disease that has no cure really, you just have to support them and give them love and care. Some cats can fight it off, and some can't. My heart breaks for you, I'll keep you all in my thoughts and prayers. RIP little one, you will never be forgotten, may the good Lord bless and keep you until you meet again......
Wish I wasn't so hasty to euthanize Calvin after reading your response, maybe he could have bounced back, he was very special. Thank you for your kind sentiments.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What you have done has saved them and given them a good life. With your care they will have a better more peaceful death than what would have happened outside. Their cat friends did not have grieve as they were forced to stand helpless by as they slowly died of starvation or infections. In the end this is the greatest gift we can give them. Never forget that. Rescuing has given you time together which has been a joy for you all.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Calvin would have relapsed in time, and each time is harder to watch. They suffer so. Do not regret ending the suffering. All you can do is learn, help others who are starting on this journey and be thankful for the time you have left. Each day is a gift......,.

2 dozen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you both for your kind and thoughtful replies.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I only wish the best for you and your little ones. You will be blessed for caring so much. You are blessed now to have them with you on your life's journey. They give so much.....

2 dozen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
di and bob, I have had cats since 1967 when I first got married and cannot imagine a life without cats. 12 is too many but I do TNR in my mountain community and for one reason or another I could not release some or they were placed in my care when people moved, Thank you again for your kind words. Best wishes your kitties stay healthy.