What Should I Feed...

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m fostering several kittens. My youngest are 4-5 weeks old. Momma is “nursing but it appears that she only has one or 2 teats that are producing.

One of her kittens is a bit on the thin side and weight goes up and down about .10 ounces. They are grazing the kibble but not sure how much they are actually eating. The person I’m fostering for suggested some baby food for the kitten, wild wet kitten food be better or KMR at this age? We want her to gain some weight. TIA

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
At 4-5 weeks old, they still need KMR, especially the kitten who is gaining and losing. Begin supplemental feedings every 2-3 hours initially for this one, and any others who may need it.

Also, make a mush by mixing the KMR with pate-style wet food to see if those with baby teeth are ready to try it.

Here is a helpful weaning video:

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If you were desperate, you could certainly begin with trying with baby food. Its often tried as first solid food for kittens.
But if you do have KMR - or goats milk, try supplement with this at first.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
At 4-5 weeks old, they still need KMR, especially the kitten who is gaining and losing. Begin supplemental feedings every 2-3 hours initially for this one, and any others who may need it.

Also, make a mush by mixing the KMR with pate-style wet food to see if those with baby teeth are ready to try it.

Here is a helpful weaning video:

I finally had a moment to watch the video and I wasn't able to get KMR yesterday.

My three babies were already drinking water and are eating canned food off the plate, do I still need to offer some KMR for nutritional reasons? Thanks.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
KMR will only help if you can get it. Great they are eating. Hope the little one begins to gain! 😊