What Should I Do?

Miksam

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, im a fresh catt ovner,i never owned a cat before, and i just got a six month old kitten 3 days ago, he often meows at me for attention and stops as soon as i sit next to him, but the problem is whenever i go to the other room or something he stsrts meowing again, or when we start to playfight he starts scratching and biteing my hand, and then just standts up, and runs away, and im very confused on what i am supposed to do?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
One of the games cats usually play with each other is much like tag. So him getting up and running is expecting you to chase him. You can of course just keep it light and fun. I've honestly done some tag type play with my cats using a wand and they love it.

However, I encourage you to not use your hands or arms as playmates. While your cat is 3 months old and tiny now, if you encourage him to bite and scratch you now it will just get worse when he is older and stronger. It's usually a better idea to use toys to play and teach that humans are not toys. You can do that by very simply saying ouch when claws or fangs come out then withdrawing attention.

The meowing is very simply he is young and lonely when you leave him.

Last edited:

Pjg8r

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The first thing is to stop using your hands to play with him. Hands should be for gentle petting (if tolerated). Get some wand type toys to put some distance between your hand and the object of the play. Da’ Bird or my cat’s favorite the Cat Dancer are two examples. The running away is part of the game for him. Mine is currently seven months old and as I’m writing this she’s dashing all over the place. The meowing may diminish as the kitten is more comfortable at your House. It’s great that you’ve only had the kitten a few days and it isn’t hiding.

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Meowing: He is training you to come. Pay attention and he will use that particular meow to mean "come here."