What Should I Do

and harry

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok so I've made a few posts about my cats recently but I'm just worried. My resident cat Noelle is 1 year. And the new cat is 10 years old. It's been little over a week since adopting Marley the 10 year old. We kept Marley isolated or rather tried to but she kept escaping when we went in to visit. One day she ran out and Noelle was right there and everything was fine maybe a hiss but other that nothing. Noelle is very curious about Marley and follows her everywhere i dont think Noelle has shown any aggression towards Marley not even a hiss. However Marley keeps hissing if Noelle gets to close and sometimes even swatting. What can I do to warm Marley up to Noelle?

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Time, treats, patience, and play. :)

Hissing, swatting and growling are all normal signs of cat introductions. Generally speaking, the intro is going badly if there is blood, fur flying, or one cat is so stressed that they won't eat, use the litterbox or is hiding all the time.

If you haven't seen this article, it has a great guideline for how to introduce catsL
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide

I wouldn't worry too much. Try and keep them separate, swap blankets or clothing so they can acclimate to the other cat's smells. Feed them tasty treats or food near the closed door so they associate the other cat with something positive.

When you do have them in the same room, supervise them. If possible, have a rigorous play session beforehand to tire them out, and feed them a treat. Generally, cat intros are a marathon, not a sprint and sometimes can take a few months. Go slowly, and have patience! It sounds like it is actually going well, and they will need to eventually figure out how to interact. The hissing and swatting is how they do this. And try and stay calm, cats do pick up on our emotions and the calmer you are, the calmer they will be.

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
Good advice from KarenKat KarenKat ! Cat introductions take much patience. It will take time, even in the best of situations. It is not unusual to take weeks, a month or even sometimes a little longer to successfully introduce kitties to each other. And it does sound like things are going pretty well. No one has jumped on anyone!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All good advice. It sounds like things are going smoothly and as expected. Just be patient and stay calm.