What should I do. My cat gave birth to 3 kittens12 hours ago, but I still feel at least one more moving around in her belly.

Catmandont

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I set out food and water and provide a heat source, for the stray cats in our neighborhood, so it's not unusual for a new face to appear on occasion. A new little female had heard the word of a free meal and showed up for breakfast. She is very small, I assumed she was an adolescent, but what was really weird about her is after I laid the food out and sat there a few minutes petting the cats that allow me to pet them, I went to go back in the house and she scooted past me and in my house really fast, and went and hid until I stopped seeing if she wanted back out. She is very friendly, clingy even. She has decided she's home and isn't leaving. I guess she belonged to someone, she is very socialized. I have been unable to find her previous family.
I call her Liberty, and after a week or so, I saw that Liberty came with a bit of baggage. She was knocked up, what can you do? She's family now. She started giving birth in her designated spot early this morning and about 3 hours later had 3 kittens to show for it. The problem is, I can still feel there is a kitten, maybe 2 still in her, I feel it moving around. Should I be concerned? Like I said, the kitten or kittens are moving.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She will have the other(s) when her body is ready. It’s not unusual for a cat to stop labor and resume a few hours to a few days later, especially if the undelivered kittens were conceived later during the heat cycle.

In the meantime, as long as the kittens are latching and nursing well, and mom seems well and is not in distress, things should be okay.

This is a sweet story! That kitty mom trusted you and needed a safe home to bear and raise her babies. Thank you for providing it!

Do keep us posted! C Catmandont

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Catmandont

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She will have the other(s) when her body is ready. It’s not unusual for a cat to stop labor and resume a few hours to a few days later, especially if the undelivered kittens were conceived later during the heat cycle.

In the meantime, as long as the kittens are latching and nursing well, and mom seems well and is not in distress, things should be okay.

This is a sweet story! That kitty mom trusted you and needed a safe home to bear and raise her babies. Thank you for providing it!

Do keep us posted! C Catmandont
She had two more kittens about an hour ago. Mother and babies seem healthy. She is a flighty mother. She doesn't spend a lot of time with the kittens and freaks out a little when they start meowing. She gets real antsy and looks at me like " what do I do?" so I lay her down and place the kittens on her to nurse. I think I may get some kitten formula and a couple of bottles in case they aren't getting enough. I will keep a close eye on them, she wouldn't have it any other way. lol!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, what a sweet story. So happy that the little mama found a home in time to have her kittens. Thanks for letting her stay. And thanks for feeding the neighbourhood strays. Welcome to TCS, btw. :wave2:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She had two more kittens about an hour ago. Mother and babies seem healthy. She is a flighty mother. She doesn't spend a lot of time with the kittens and freaks out a little when they start meowing. She gets real antsy and looks at me like " what do I do?" so I lay her down and place the kittens on her to nurse. I think I may get some kitten formula and a couple of bottles in case they aren't getting enough. I will keep a close eye on them, she wouldn't have it any other way. lol!
Good. Many a cat moms wants support from their human Ma. So you are doing good...
Yes, having some kitten formula, or goats milk in reserve is always wise.... Also, momma may need some extra herself... Being homeless a good while, I expect her reserves are rather thin.

Observe, kittens whom have access to momma, are often reluctant to take bottle... In those case its often easier with a dropper or a needleless syringe.... And perhaps a mini miracle nipple on... Train some with a doll, because if you arent used, syringe feeding is a little tricky, more difficult than bottle the first times you do it.

Its good to weigh kittens every day, unless you notice they are apparently thriving...
A healthy kittens adds typicalla 10+ grammes a day... If its much less, you do worry.