What Makes You A Good Person?

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are a multitude of examples of things that you can do or say that can make anyone seem to be a good person, with grand gestures or donations etc... But I find that it's the little things in life that truly make a difference.
What things do you do consistently that makes you a good person.

I'll start it off by saying that I often and consistently am helpful without being asked, but I also do so without the expectation of a thank you or even seeking acknowledgment for the task. I just do it because it is helpful and needs to be done or will be appreciated, even if they don't know who did it.
Sometimes it's obvious that I did what I did, like offering a ride or picking up something that someone else dropped. But sometimes it can be as simple as wiping down the sink at work because it's messy looking. It's not "my job" to clean the bathrooms, but why not help?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There's a homeless man who "works" a corner that I drive by now and then and I'll give him whatever change I have ( this gets harder with credit cards and all the other non cash things) or a bottle of water.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This March I raised nearly £100 doing a sponsored walk for Cancer Research - my grandmother and her siblings all passed away of cancer (my grandmother died of lung cancer just after she turned 60 and her brother died of an agressive form of leukaemia in his early 40s leaving his wife and three children behind) so I've always wanted to do something to raise awareness of the disease.
I also volunteered with SPEC children last summer and often volunteer for other events at church and within the family (my aunt and cousins often host a lot of parties so I help them from time to time with organising).

I also try to be kind to everyone and don't judge people without knowing their backstory so that I know what things might trigger them because then I can be careful not to mention them. I also like to educate myself on social and political issues so I can be more considerate of everyone's backgrounds and culture.

There's a homeless man who "works" a corner that I drive by now and then and I'll give him whatever change I have ( this gets harder with credit cards and all the other non cash things) or a bottle of water.
That's a lovely thing to do and I'm sure it makes him very grateful. I always try my best to donate to homeless charities or help homeless people when I see them on the street. I donated some backpacks full of winter essentials for local homeless people in my borough and also donate to my local food bank regularly.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a soft heart. I am very sympathetic. I am a Christian. I can't stay mad or upset very long.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I try to be a good person. I'm not perfect but I do live by the Golden Rule and all that stuff.

tabbysia

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am good to my cats, and they probably love me. People--not so much. I would say that I'm not particularly kind or helpful (except at my job where I have to be), and I'm not really able to form attachments to people.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
My mother is 89 and lives alone, even though her doctors say she should be in a nursing home. For the last few years I clean her house, do her laundry, run her errands, manage her money and pick up and put away her groceries .

And she has an eighty something sister who has mild dementia and also lives alone. I am her driver, and handyman.

It’s like living a double life, it is exhausting and I am either good or crazy.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am good to my cats, and they probably love me. People--not so much. I would say that I'm not particularly kind or helpful (except at my job where I have to be), and I'm not really able to form attachments to people.
Just because you're not a people person doesn't mean you're not a good person. Animals are amazing judges of character and THEY love you so there's that. We are also quite fond of you so there's that too. I'm not a big people person either. I'd rather have dinner with 100 stray cats than with 10 strange humans. As far as good or bad goes, I'd classify myself as about average. We've all made mistakes and we've all done good deeds that even we ourselves may have forgotten about. That doesn't mean they didn't happen.