What is wrong with my kitten's swollen paw? (pics)

felix229

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a beautiful little ginger boy that I rescued 2 days ago. I noticed yesterday night that his rear right paw is swollen. It doesn't feel hot, it's not leaking anything, and when I lightly handle him or his paw, he's not in pain. He's eating, playing, and going to the bathroom just fine. He's also actually moving around more today than yesterday when I first noticed the swollen paw. He's not really limping either.

So I'm wondering...is it a sprain? He hasn't learned how to retract his claws yet when he walks around so I'm wondering if he got caught on the towel I've spread in his box and then twisted his paw? Any input would be so helpful, thanks!

Attachments

Leomc123

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Could it be an abscess forming or an insect bite ?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Can you email the pictures to the vet and follow up with a phone call?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would E-mail those pictures and see what they recommend. If it was an older cat I would say it is an abscess from a cat bite, you will know if it breaks open in a while and leaks fluid, which is good, it is getting rid of the infection. Like said above, it could be an insect bite too. If he is walking to normal I don't think it is bone/muscle related, but an abscess will eventually cause pain and limping too. Cats don't retract their back claws completely like the front ones, that is why they are not as sharp, they get worn down. As long as he is eating. drinking, using the litter box, and walking on that rear leg, I would watch it and see if it gets better or worse. A warm moist washcloth applied might help some too, if he will let you.