What is the Vanilla Extract/Perfume trick?

kumbulu

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Felifriend is used so the cat can be handled by people (vet, groomer etc.) with less stress and anxiety for the cat. I thought about the Feliway plug-in but I don't think plugs in Iceland would be the same.

Click here for some information on Felifriend. It says it's only available in Europe but I'm sure you could probably get it anywhere (I have both Feliway and Felifriend.)

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was wondering the same thing too Tania - when I did a google search, they were all french
and dictionary.com didnt come up with anything.

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Maybe it is the plural of scratches? Just guessing here as I know nowt about french

tuxedokitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ROTFL!

That's a pretty cute site, if you look around at it with the translator's help.

Santhosh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How do I use this vanilla extract?
I just brought my kitten back home after spaying her. All of a sudden mother cat and the kitten started to hiss at each other.
They were together before and not sure how to handle this!

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats, being very scent-oriented, sometimes don't recognize former close companions after a trip to the vet. This is called non-recognition aggression (NRA). A spot of vanilla extract behind the ears of both cats is supposed to mask the scent of the vet and stop the aggression.

Another approach is to scent-swap. You take a towel, rub one cat thoroughly, then rub the other with the same towel. Then, take the towel and rub the first cat. This makes them smell more alike and stops the NRA.

I never did anything with my cats, and it stopped in about 72 hours on its own. There was no chasing or howling; there only were hisses and a swat or two. Basically, it was "You smell funny! Get away!"

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My girls were littermates and Noodles would get hissy even when they went to the vet together. I did try the vanilla trick but they eventually would try to leave if they saw the vanilla bottle so I stopped.

It never got beyond some hissing for us; so just petting them and reassuring them verbally was all we needed. It took up to 3 days for all hissing to stop.

I think we have some articles here I can find once I get to my laptop. But basically as long as it’s not aggression; you just need to keep an eye and maybe do a little scent swapping with a small towel or washcloth that you pet both with to mingle their scents again. 🙂